Klipsch F-3's vs. Definitive Tech BP7004's - tested today!

kenratboy

Had both speakers side by side run by a Denon 3805 ($1200) and a 2910 universal disc player ($650). Supplemented the Klipsch's with Def Tech subwoofer to make it a fair comparison (but bass wasn't the issue, just the overall tone). Also bear in mind the Klipsch's are about $800/pr. where the Def Tech's are $800/ea. So not really a fair comparison price-wise.

Well, here is what we found:

First song was Money by Pink Floyd - the Def Tech's were absolutly 'easier' to listen to, where as the Klipsch's seemed bright - bring until you realize that a sax (isn't that what the solo was done on in that song?) is a BRIGHT instrument, and the Klipsch's seemed to give you that massive SCREECH that you hear live, not a imitation of the instrument. The Def Tech's were certainly well balanced during this song.

Next was some other 70's mega groups and the Klipsch's exceled on everything. Forget which song, but the lyrics sounded fine on the Klipsch's - but with the Def Tech's, they honest to god were MUFFLED! Not pretty at all. The Klipsch's appearent brightness vanished (they were still lively as hell - always getting your attention)

Then were some movies (stereo just to play around) and the Klipsch's dominated. That 'in your face' aspect that might not be liked by some for some music REALLY paid off for movies. Breaking glass was CRISP, dialouge was clear, etc. With the Klipsch, there was a very 'pinpoint' aspect to sounds (not soundstage, sound of the effects), where the Def Tech's felt kinda 'broad' - some people will probably like this, a little more calm (but thats no good for action films!)

Overall, not just me, but the three of us all liked the Klipsch better.

The Def Tech's were VERY nice, but maybe a bit too mellow. Certainly easier to listen to, but if you want a live preformance in your family room, Klipsch wins, done.

kenratboy:

Nice review...as I am in the market for new speakers and in all liklihood be buying Klipsch...I am interested in the Synergy F3s as well as the Reference (...and if I could find somewhere to audition...Heritage) speakers.

dodger...are you softening on your feelings for the Synergys??? I have appreciated your comments and STILL (Oh make up your MIND, Bill!!!) I am keeping an open mind.

Thanks,

Bill

----------------

On 1/3/2005 1:17:12 AM rick88 wrote:

I have had 2 different sets of Def Tech speakers and I couldn't agree with you more.I never really felt they were {exciting} to listen to. But I AM a big fan of their subs.
----------------

Their subs are great.

For the money, you cannot go wrong with the ProCinema 100 package - people I have talked to that have worked with the package say it is just STUNNING for movies.