How much for KLF-30's?

tpg

I've been wanting to try one of those little guys out...

When I do, I'll probably upgrade the binding posts, RCA's, pot, enclosure, etc. Basically make a new amp from it. heh There's a thread over at the DIYAudio forums going on about these little things. Many people like their sound.

I'd really like to pick up one of the eval boards from Apogee DDX. They have digital and analog ins and supposedly sound even better than Tripath designs. But, they are a lot more expensive.

And... I just found out that the KLF-30's are definitely not video shielded. I noticed a little pink in the corner of the blue screen menu of the Van Halen Live Without a Net DVD. So... I am going to have to re-think my room layout, I do believe, so I can get the speakers a little farther away. Currently, my setup is very cramped. All worked out ok with the RF-3's, and even better with the KG-2.5's. But now I feel like I am watching TV in a cave... these things are somewhat imposing. Between them and my ~5-foot tall sub, things are getting pretty big around here... I suppose I'll be spending tomorrow moving stuff around.

Thanks! 1.gif

I am really much happier about spending a lot on these than I was about spending it all on the HK. And I do plan on keeping them for quite some time...

Are shielded? Hmm... Not shielded well enough, I guess... my TV turned kinda funny colors (though I didn't see it at first). I'll just keep them a couple of feet away...

When there is a center channel, the mains SHOULD be shielded for video. It is a fatal marketing error not to do so. The model that the Legends replaced, the Epic series were video shielded.

A close inspection of the Legend owner's manual leads me to suspect that the towers may not be shielded. The center is noted as video shielded, while there is no such designation for the towers.

I suspect that you will need to keep the towers away from conventional TVs. Can you say DLP?6.gif

Bill

I read the manual and website and also came to the conclusion that they must not be shielded... Most Klipsch speaker drivers that are video shielded have a V appearing usually at the end of the model number, I think (ex. K-1019-SV). I suppose it is easy enough to open them up and glue on some bucking magnets, though. While I'm at it, I may throw in some DIY crossovers if I get a chance to whip some together.

They are definitely going to be placed away from my TV, though... A complete room re-arrange is now due. What we won't do to allow use of new speakers...

----------------

On 1/4/2005 1:31:10 AM tpg wrote:

I read the manual and website and also came to the conclusion that they must not be shielded... Most Klipsch speaker drivers that are video shielded have a V appearing usually at the end of the model number, I think (ex. K-1019-SV). I suppose it is easy enough to open them up and glue on some bucking magnets, though. While I'm at it, I may throw in some DIY crossovers if I get a chance to whip some together.

They are definitely going to be placed away from my TV, though... A complete room re-arrange is now due. What we won't do to allow use of new speakers...

----------------

KLF-30's are NOT shielded.

I have mine about 35" from the edge of my TV. Any closer and I get the video color distortion from the magnets.

Wow... 35"? Mine are currently not even that far away... and I don't think I see any distortion... I need to relocate my huge sub that is always in the way so I can move them farther from my TV. No clue where to put it though...

----------------

On 1/4/2005 10:19:44 AM tpg wrote:

Wow... 35"? Mine are currently not even that far away... and I don't think I see any distortion... I need to relocate my huge sub that is always in the way so I can move them farther from my TV. No clue where to put it though...

----------------

It might also depend some on your tv.

Mine is an old (1987) 35" Mitsubishi Tube TV (one heavy S.O.B.)

2.gif