How much for KLF-30's?

tpg

I have the opportunity to pick up some KLF-30's local to me. They are basically new, never been taken to anyone's home, and have been sitting in the dealer's showroom for years. How much would you think would be a fair price for them? I want to be "educated" in their worth before I go in there and drop too much money. Thanks all

EDIT: Also, just located a dealer 45 miles from me that sells Reference. Between the RF-7 and KLF-30, which would you go for (even though the RF-7 will probably cost more)? I do listen mostly to music nowadays, but movies are also high on the list.

With Black finish, try to get them for $600 - $700, that would be a real nice deal if they are in fact new, still sitting in the dealers showroom.

Keep in mind that the price on these speakers came down dramatically over the period of time that they were on the market. So the dealer can easily show a high retail value, when in fact the retail dropped in the last couple of years they were available.

Mahogany ones are common and very beautiful, I would pay a premium for those.

Can't help you with the choice between RF-7's and KLF-30's because I've never heard the RF-7, but the KLF-30 is a heck of a nice sounding speaker.

Greg

If I buy today within the next few hours, I can get them for $900 tax included from the authorized dealer, full warranty included (what's left of it anyway).

They are in black, been at the store for years...

Man this is a tough call. It is kind of a lot of money... But then again, they are one of the speaker types I've always wanted. From the beginning of my stay here at Klipsch, I've seen all the speakers and have only really fallen in love with three models: KLF-30, RF-7, and La Scalas. I suppose it would be good to go ahead and buy them. They also have a pair of KLF-10's I could take off their hands in the future to use for a center or for surrounds. And I have my RF-3's to use as surrounds as well. Such a tough call even still... I don't deal well with spending large amounts of money, especially if I believe I won't get my money back out of them later.

I liked the KLF 20 very much but have not auditioned in 5-6 years.

For $ 900 you could get LaScalas, Cornwalls or CHorus IIs.

I have never heard of a problem with KLF drivers or crossovers; although some cabinets did need to be reglued and some have added stiffening crossmembers. Not a need for the other 3 I mentioned.

Tough call.

DO not be in a hurry.

Try to get a one week trial; to see if you love them in your room.

They are broken in of course.

There's a reason why KLF-30's don't come up for sale very often. They are a very good speaker. Many say they are the ultimate rock speaker. I have not hear a pair for several years but I remember one thing, they kick a$$! My opinion is anything less than $1000 is a fair price. Especially for new ones. Supply and demand you know.9.gif

I heard them once and did think they sounded very good...

I am somewhat rushed, actually... cannot really calm and think it through slowly. They need an answer (and cash) by tonight at 6:00 so that they can file the sale with December's sales (for tax purposes).

Asking for a one week trial would be a very good idea. If not completely satisfied in one week I could return them for money back... but I doubt I'd want to return them (especially since they weigh so much and packing them upstairs once will be a huge chore).

Maybe I can talk them down a tad more. heh

I wouldn't be pushed into it because of year end sales. There's always next year! 2.gif

I don't like pressure like that. Give it right back to them. They don't have another buyer, so offer them $750. If they don't take it, walk out and go back the next day.

Personally, I put a lot of value in speaker cabinets. I would wait to find some beautiful mahogany ones. You will not get as much money when you sell these as you would for natural wood ones.

Here's a picture of the pair I sold last year for $1050.

KLF30 a.jpg

Greg

post-11090-13819260151378_thumb.jpg

TPG,

The KLF-30s are more sensitive than your RF-3s. They will show every wart in the chain leading to the KLF-30s. If you are ready to deal with any deficiencies in your system over time, you will have excellent speakers for a long time to come.

The center that you will needs is the KLF-C7 which is no longer in production.

Well... ok, update time. heh

I bought them. As of now, I don't regret it at all, which is very much unlike my previous purchase (an HK 335 receiver). Don't get me wrong... the receiver sounded great, but had a high-pitched squeel/hiss when ANY analog source was selected, and difficulties with setting it up ultimately led to its return.

I brought these beasts home and hooked them up to my old budget, slightly bright, Onkyo receiver. And I have never heard that thing sound so good. There is bass... Oh there is bass. The KG-2.5's didn't have much bass, the RB-3's had a little less bass, but it was cleaner, the RF-3's had more bass, but still a little light, the KLF-30's have plenty. Midrange and highs are a tad more forward than my RF-3's, but ultra crisp and clear. The soundstage still suffers because of my receiver, and I am sure I am missing detail... but when I get a new receiver everything will be great, no doubt. My only complaint is that one of the gold thingys that connect the HF to LF binding posts is missing. They had them bi-wired in the store, so they had these in storage with the manuals, but I only ended up with three. I rigged the last one with a short piece of wire... but I am going to have to see if they can find it or get me another one. The ones from the RF-3/RB-3 will not fit.

Now a question on speaker matching... Although from different sets, the Reference series and Legends can be mixed with fairly good results, yes? I am thinking I'll use my RF-3's as side surrounds, RB-3's as rear surrounds, and get a new center, but for now the KV-3 center. Of course, I am only using 5.1, so the RB-3's won't be in use until the receiver upgrade... But in general, they will match pretty well?

Well, I am off to get a glass of water and some asprins for the muscle pain from moving these beasts (they weigh 116 in boxes, I weigh 120 LOL). Then I'll probably listen to them a while before bed... I've never heard my receiver sound this good. 6.gif

----------------

On 1/3/2005 10:52:02 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

TPG,

The KLF-30s are more sensitive than your RF-3s. They will show every wart in the chain leading to the KLF-30s. If you are ready to deal with any deficiencies in your system over time, you will have excellent speakers for a long time to come.

The center that you will needs is the KLF-C7 which is no longer in production.

----------------

Their higher sensitivity defintely shows, too. My old listening levels are insane now. Thus far everything sounds great... except for the lack of large soundstage that the HK had. I'll probably pick up a Rotel sooner or later... probably about summer time.

As far as the center goes... I'll actually probably build a custom one later on. The C7 seems a tad too small to me. hehe I'd like at 3-way center with at least 10" woofers (similar to the KLF-20). The dealer also has some KLF-10's I may have to take off his hands... but he wants $750 for those, so they'll have to wait a long time.

I am very surprised at how weak the woofer cones are... barely touching them even causes them to bend slightly. I expected a more rigid cone from such a powerful speaker...

Another question I thought of... are they video shielded? I have them VERY close to my TV and there is no distortion (that I can tell). Just wondering if I should worry...

Try one these little Digi-amps. It may get you by 'til you save up some cash, get a system plan....etc..

I just bought one off ebay with the stupid looking speakers and AC adapter for like 32 bucks.

I'm curious to see how Sonic Impact T-amp will fare with '83 Cornwalls.

If that little Digi-amp has the tonality of what the Magnavox PP 6BQ5 amp has, and the midrange the 300B can do, I'm gonna be bummed...

post-6643-13819260151738_thumb.jpg