Looking for Home Theater Amplifier

rayok275

Looking for recomendations for a five channel home theater amplifier for use with Klipsch RB-75 bookshelf speakers, RC-35 center, and RS-35 surrounds. Will be using and Onkyo 787 THX select receiver for pre-amp until funds warrant the upgrade to separates. My room is 23x17x10 with three halls and a staircase.

I am looking to speand the least amount of money, but get the best bang for the buck (Who isn't?). I have been researching brands and power rateings, but am looking for someone with some experience driving the reference line to give me some feedback.

Thank-you in adavnce.

Ray

don't go with the h/k listed above - it is only 80 watts per channel....

for average listening levels at reference levels with very efficient Klipsch speakers you might be listening at 5 to 10 watts...

the problem arises on sudden high transients that can instantaneously demand 10 to 15 times the average power level - your peaks could easily reach 50 to 150 watts.

with only 80 watts per channel - you will clip the signal.... you probably won't hear the clipping (maybe) because it is so quick.... an easy way to tell if you are clipping is to compare a low powered amp on a very dynamic soundtrack or recording to how the same music sounds on a high power amplifier.... even those very fast transients that are being clipped are audibly different.

i would not buy an amp with less than 200 watts per channel...

i would suggest a used sunfire cinema grand amplifier - 200 watts per channel x 5.... they go for about $1000 on ebay and audiogon

I would also suggest you give the Sherbourn 7/2100A a look-see. It's a monster (yeah - just try and sue me Monster Cable. Can't get blood from a turnip ya know) of an amp and if you look carefully, you can get one for a very decent price. I would also suggest that if you do buy a 7/2100A that you do some weight training. At 110 lbs., it's not an amp you want to lift very often. Trust me - I know. I own one!

Tom