I need the SCHEMATIC for the .......

Born2RockU

When you think of 'timbre', think more along the lines of having speakers that all use the same type of material for the tweeter and midrange drivers. All of your drivers use phenolic diaphragms, and that's really the thing that's going to determine whether or not the speakers are similiar in 'timbre'. Now, if you were to dump an RC-7 in the center, which uses a titanium HF driver -- you would then not be timbre 'matched'.

This is also one of the reasons I don't believe in switching out the K-55 or K-77 with a driver made with another diaphragm material -- you can also upset and destroy the timbre matching between drivers within the same speaker.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=34622&

post-3205-13819260193324_thumb.jpg

Guys,

The A and AA networks both have 6 dB / octave (1st order) woofer / squawker filters. This is also what I use in my "type A" netwrok. It has such slow skirts that the natural crossover of the horns take over. This lets them be used on any of the three heritage speakers. The later networks with 12 dB / octave filters need to be taylored to each speaker like my extreme-slope designs.

The K55M and K55V have identical sensitivity. They are clones of each other and can use the same tap settings. They also sound vertually alike. The change in settings done when the change to the M was done was PROBABLY determined by some engineers preference, not by any sceintific measurement. I suspect the tap #4 setting on the T2A was too hot all along and they simply tweaked it when the change was made to the M driver. This is just my opinion though.

Al K.

The change in settings done when the change to the M was done was PROBABLY determined by some engineers preference, not by any scientific measurement.

Was PK really completely disconnected and uninvolved with Heritage in the 80's and 90's? Seems hard to believe. At any rate, I can't believe Klipsch would do anything, or make any final decision related to design without measurements

I suspect the tap #4 setting on the T2A was too hot all along and they simply tweaked it when the change was made to the M driver.

Not too "hot" with tube gear and/or records -- but probably too hot for most solid state and/or the compact disc. The change appears to have been made around the same time the CD came about.

Dean,

Adjustments to crossovers are often made by ear rather than measurements. The "AL" network for the LaScala is an example. I was told by an insider that it was done by a new engineer that liked the sound of horns (brass that is, trumpets, etc.) and optimized it for that! Another example is the AB network in the Belle. Its squawker is reverse-equalized to droop as the frequency goes up. It shows up in the official response curve from Klipsch too. I suspect it was done to reduce harshness. You can't measure harshness. Compensation for that sort of thing has to be done by ear.

I don't beleive there is any difference in the settings required for tubes versus SS amps. After all, you just said that you didn't beleive they made adjustments without instruments. Tube versus SS amps will measure the same!

As to PWKs influence, I think he started to back away around the time the "KG" sereis came out. They were done by Gary Gillium (spelling?). I understand that is what the "G" in "KG" stands for. We should get HDBRbuilder's input on this though. All my info on that sort of thing is second hand!

Al K.

"Adjustments to crossovers are often made by ear rather than measurements...I suspect it was done to reduce harshness. You can't measure harshness. Compensation for that sort of thing has to be done by ear."

See how you are -- I finally say something nice about measurements, and you come back with this audiophile crap.9.gifI think it depends on what you're measuring and how you're measuring it. An RTA and mic should pick it up. Sure, the ears notice this thing kind of thing really easy, but if you can't measure it somehow -- how do you know where and how to implement the fix?

"I don't believe there is any difference in the settings required for tubes versus SS amps. After all, you just said that you didn't beleive they made adjustments without instruments. Tube versus SS amps will measure the same!"

Measure the same but sound different -- can I quote you on that? I don't know, as far as the amps go, their distortion curves look different, and many tube amps will change their frequency response with the impedance -- uh, I know you know that!