Would it be ok?

Jennifer1

----------------

On 1/8/2005 3:37:18 PM Colin wrote:

she did? where?

3.gif

----------------

Calm down guys. Geez. Don't you guys ever interact with women at all? You sound like shy teenagers all excited at seeing a girl.

Jennifer, the h/k has plenty of power for you. I have an h/k avr-325 with 55W x 7 running La Scala mains and I rarely watch movies above -25dB, and -17dB is theater reference. Music at -10dB is "loud" enough (around 100 to 105 dB in the room).

Pretty young women rank up there with low-cost Toshiba DVD players that make good sound for the money, Sonic Impact digital amplifiers that make good sound for the money and Parts Express subwoofer kits thatmake good sound for the money, especially a pretty young woman who likes music, movies and stereos all very exciting, besides, I am psyched for the game

Jennifer,Glad to see your asking alot of Questions good to learn as much as possible. I run my LaScalas with old HK430 with 24 watts per side so not all of us are power hungry junkies..lol.Read as much as you can here and learn as you go thats how we all have done it just most of us started at the age of 12... lol. Rick

Hi Jennifer

I am going to be a desenting voice here, playing devil's advocate to some degree.

In my experience, there's no such thing as "enough" power, so long as the quality of the amplifiers in question are first rate. Klipsh speakers are far more revealing than most, as the horn loaded high end results in the speaker contributing far lower distortion levels than a "typical" direct radiator tweeter / midrange, so any distortion produced by the amp is glaringly obvious. But, if you have, uh, "quality" power (?) then I'd strongly suggest that as much as you can afford is almost enough.

Let me use an analogy here. I used to go camping a lot, particularly in the winter. When my bud and I wanted to start a fire, we'd gather a lot of brush and small sticks, and a few larger logs, and pile them up in a teepee shaped heap over a fire ring. Then, I'd take about a quart of Coleman White Gas that we used for the grill and pour it over the brush. Give it a minute or so to soak in, then stand back and shoot a bottle rocket at it.

Wen it ignited, there were two very different audio components to the spectacle. One was a "whooshing" sound as the fire went up, a sound that started low, then climbed over a second or two... kind of a

wooooOOOooOOOOOsssSSSSHHSSSSSHHHHHH sort of effect.

The other was a very visceral, hit you in the chest kind of a WHUMP effect. Could knock you back a foot or two, depending upon how close you were. Very cool.

A lot of movies that feature things blowing up have this same characteristic. My experience is that with Klipsch speakers (and I've had KHorns, La Scalas, KG-4s and currently Epic CF-4) you can capture an acurate recreation of the "whoosh" part with limited power (25 to 50 watts being more than enough), but to really feel the "WHUMP" the way you feel it live, you need a sh*tload of power.

I'd suggest that you might enjoy borrowing a *much* more powerful amp / receiver some day, hooking it up, and playing your favorite movie / over the top music. See if it makes any difference to you. If it doesn't really contribute much to your enjoyment of what you're listening to, then consider yourself fortunate. If, one the other hand, you go "Oh, Way Cool, this ROCKS" then you have just entered one of the inner circles of Hell and you will never stop trying to upgrade your system to get it just a little closer to the impact and emotion of a live event.

but I don't listen music very loud or movies....when I bought my amp, I didn't know much about it, I was just starting to post and ask question here, but the more I read, the more I wonder if I made a good choice, but I made theses choices with the money I had at that moment...so it's ok I think.

What's the difference with the AVR series and digital path receivers in HK? I might upgrade to this one day.

but I don't listen music very loud or movies....when I bought my amp, I didn't know much about it, I was just starting to post and ask question here, but the more I read, the more I wonder if I made a good choice, but I made theses choices with the money I had at that moment...so it's ok I think.

Guest Anonymous

the difference between the avr and the dp is huge. The dp is slimmer smaller amp and runs at a much lower temp because it does not use transformers at all it is soley digital and therefore has a very cool sound too it, i personally dislike the sound it puts out it doesn't sound nearly as good as the avr stuff. the avr is built more like a tranditional reciever because it has the heavy transformers and the digital analog converters etc, it runs hotter and is a lot bigger and heavier.

The track record of the dp stuff is not the best either, its only the second generation of it and therefore not perfected, it still has a lot of quircks, and the first generation had a lot of problems with the channels blowing out etc.

• 2 weeks later...