Would it be ok?

Jennifer1

hello guys....me again with my tons of questions!

So If I want to buy the RF-35 do I have to change my reciver (HK 230, 55 watts/channel) would it be enough to drive those speaker, right now they drive the RF-15.

THANKS as always for your precious help...you know i'm a poor girl lost in the world of Klipsch...;)

----------------

On 1/7/2005 9:32:21 AM Jennifer1 wrote:

hello guys....me again with my tons of questions!

So If I want to buy the RF-35 do I have to change my reciver (HK 230, 55 watts/channel) would it be enough to drive those speaker, right now they drive the RF-15.

THANKS as always for your precious help...you know i'm a poor girl lost in the world of Klipsch...
;)

----------------

The RF35 are more efficient (sensitive) than the RF15 and therefore will require less power to produce the same sound level.

The RF35 are 3dB more efficient then RF15 which translates to aproximately twice as much acoustic output per watt of power. So basically using RF35 is like using twice as much power with the RF15. The RF35 can easily handle your current reciever's power and you should get aproximately 3dB more output.

A girl! A girl! Guys look! There is a girl here!

(if anybody would notice the difference it should be women they have extended high frequency hearing compared to men past their 40s)

I would look for used Heritage models, Chorus, Fortes, even KG 4.2 and 5.2s

9.gif

----------------

On 1/7/2005 10:02:43 AM Jennifer1 wrote:

do you think I would see a difference that I can notice between the RF-15 and RF-35 if I only listen at moderate volume, is it worth changing?

I would move the RF-15 to the surround position....

----------------

Well the best rule of thumb would be to listen for yourself and come to your own conclusion. 2.gif That said, I think you would notice an improvement.

Guest Anonymous

well more power will be clearer at louder volumes, MY speakers are way overpowered.. I am using 2 stereo amps that are bridged to mono that put out 400 watts rms, and my speakers handle 125 rms, but, if i used the one amp (in stereo mode at 100 watts rms per channel) instead of 2 it would not sound nearly as equally powered, i have found that having more power is never a bad thing you just need to be more careful because it will be easy to blow out your speakers... I cannot even turn my system up half way before the protection circuitry will kick in, but half way will leave my ears ringing for a few hours....

in your case though you will be fine b/c like stated 10 times before your speakers will use that power they are given very very very efficeintly

Changing to the RF-35's will probably give you a more full (warmer) sound, especially with the HK. I have run RF-3's (older model RF-35) with HK before and really liked the results a lot. Very smooth sound (although maybe even a tad too tame on the high end). At moderate levels, you would probably not have to turn the receiver up as much for the 35's vs. the 15's. I'd say it would be a decent upgrade. The 15's would also do very well for side surrounds in a 5.1/7.1 system so there's no reason to get rid of them.

EDIT: As an example of Klipsch efficiency, I ran my RF-3's 2-channel only with no sub and only hit 1/2 watt peaks at a level I thought was pretty loud. So, the seemingly low power of your receiver is really more than enough.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/7/2005 10:27:44 AM Colin wrote:

A girl! A girl! Guys look! There is a girl here!

(if anybody would notice the difference it should be women – they have extended high frequency hearing compared to men past their 40s)

I would look for used Heritage models, Chorus, Fortes, even KG 4.2 and 5.2s…

9.gif

----------------

You act like you went to my college hahaha j/k

I have found that women have a higher appreciation for good sound and are better at hearing differences in sound than men... I speak for the general public here that only has the sony boom box that are finally buying a good system

In my view, the major issue is better speakers, and you're going in that direction. Good.

Some people gravatate to bigger amplifiers. Often the extra power is more than they'll ever need or use.

I'd say you should stay with your present amp. There is no immediate reason to think you'll get better performance.

Gil

Hi Jennifer,

I see the madness has taken hold already. Buying larger speakers for your mains and 'graduating' your old mains to the surrounds is a natural progression. You shouldn't need more power at this stage unless you plan on listening to Def Leppard at concert volumes or more likely Home Theatre at 'theatre' volumes. I'm finding that I really crank up my Cornwalls when I do movies and listen at much louder volume levels that I do for normal music listening. Depends on your tastes. You'll be fine for now.

Michael

hello jennifer, the 55 w per channel will work fine. when i first had my sons rf 3's i ran them off an 55 w per channel onkyo, and they had plenty of output. it would in the future however improve your overall sound to upgrade. reason being is headroom. this is a bit difficult to explain for me, but i will try. klipsch are magnificint for telling the story of your components, they scream about any deficincies, and praise all the better downstream, as far as amplification they give what they get, with the 55 w per channel they will begin letting you know when distortion is present (when your amp starts straining)but larger, more powerful amps will make the 35's sing, your 55 w's will sound great, but 100-150 on those 35- even though not used will produce effortless sound, and that lack of effort can be heard, you wont use the extra power but the power you will used will be delivered smoothly, in richer tones, sound stage improves....... but yeah, you will be fine , until you begin to see the ability of those 35's

A picture is a good idea Jenn. Often times us men can tell more about what your preferences might be by looking at a good close up photo. I mean, look how happy clueless is with her setup, she posted a high res pic of herself in a bikini.

Keith