The $50,000 tube amp and the $70,000 horn speaker

Parrot

----------------

On 1/11/2005 12:18:53 AM Gramas701 wrote:

price for 1 i am thkning jsut kind of by what the article said, those speakers are so goofy looking i hope hey sound better than they look
----------------

I've just came back from CES and IMO this room had one of the worst sound at the show. These speakers are very dynamic but that's about it. Poor soundstage, poor driver integration. I'd take Khorns and $63k over these, any day.

----------------

On 1/11/2005 12:33:18 PM paulparrot wrote:

Guy is not an amateur!

----------------

Nothing personal Paul.

I find Forum Members more believable as they post here rather than reading it in an Audio magazine which may have a debt to advertisers, thus their products.

dodger

----------------

On 1/11/2005 12:10:16 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Guy,

Tell us more about the CES. What did you like? What else did you dislike? An amature's opinion weigh's a lot more in my mind than someone who is paid to review something they got for nothing. He11o! I like everything I get for nothing too!
3.gif

Rick
----------------

Rick,

I was there on business so I didn't spend as much time as I wanted, listening to every system down there.

I liked a pair of Calix horn speakers (I don't remember the model) and the Prima Luna amps and preamps http://www.upscaleaudio.com/view_category.asp?cat=36. At this price point they'll be very hard to beat.

Actually I wasn't impressed with the sound in most of the rooms but that's typical in most shows that I've attended. The biggest disappointment were Audionote UK room, Einstein/acapella room, the Wavac room, Wavelength (with Cain & Cain) and the Avantgarde rooms.

The nicer room were exhibiting equipment from Zanden and CAT (with some very impressive german speakers) , Joule Electra with Vandersteen 5A's, Herron Audio room, Emotive Audio and Lamm (with Weiss Digital and Wilson Maxx II's) room.