Kit vs premade ?

Coytee

If I was a tinkering type (I am)

If I had an interest in 2a3 set (I do)

If I had an interest in saving money (I do)

If I had an interest in spending a bit MORE money to *insure* better sound (I do)

Would you suggest I get a kit 2a3 verses "brand x 2A3"? Or suggest brand X over the kit?

Given what I've seen of some of the kits, they're certainly within my abilities to do, I just wonder if (for example) a Wright 2A3 would sound better than a Paramour 2A3.

(I think I've got the right names to go with a 2A3)

Anyways... what say you? Which brand/kit would you suggest?

Spend X dollars and do myself or spend 2X dollars and plug & play? Remember that the holographic soundstage is my first priority over spl.

I already have a Peach in my posession and frankly, the 2x pricing isn't an issue, it will only delay me (because of recent purchase of Khorns, Jolida and Peach). Mr. Budget can handle a kit expense (and hide it from SWMBO) easier than a more expensive outlay. If I pay more, I'll have to wait longer, perhaps into spring/summer.

I'm the handy tinkering type so I would go for the kit. Probably the Wright. Why pay someone else to do something you can do yourself? Just be prepared to follow the instructions and diagrams exactly, running a wire too close to some component may cause a hum that's hard to track down later.

The Paramours are good sounding 2A3, but if you already know that you like 2A3 SET, then the Wrights would be a better match with your Peach.

I don't know that Wright produces any kits, but it's good news if they do.

Steve has given you good advice to check out the JFL DIY offerings. The "Seth" (I think) is a 2A3 in PP which looks to be a really neat amp.

Welborne Labs, of Moondog fame, offers kits on another generation of amps called DRD's. The 2A3 is no longer listed on the website, but it is my understanding that he would still put a 2A3 kit together for a customer if requested. The DRD's seem not to have been as universally appreciated as the Moondogs were. Apparently a good match with a preamp is crucial with good results in the DRD's. I'd sure think that the Peach would do well there, but don't understand why the DRD's are more tempermental in this way.