DVD issue

ct1615

Last night I put in my Gladiator DVD in my brand new Panasonic DVD player and toward the end of the movie, the images starts to freeze and then break up. I looked at the DVD and it was in mint condition. I also bought a brand new DVD of Anchorman and had the same problem in the beginning of the movie. It's not just this DVD player! My JVC (two years old) had issues with a brand new Pirates of the Caribbean and Anchorman. Am I setting up something wrong? It doesnt matter if I run the DVD progressive, interlaced, s-video cable, or component cable. Anyone else have this problem? 7.gif

----------------

On 1/10/2005 4:52:43 PM ct1615 wrote:

Last night I put in my Gladiator DVD in my brand new Panasonic DVD player and toward the end of the movie, the images starts to freeze and then break up. I looked at the DVD and it was in mint condition. I also bought a brand new DVD of Anchorman and had the same problem in the beginning of the movie. It's not just this DVD player! My JVC (two years old) had issues with a brand new Pirates of the Caribbean and Anchorman. Am I setting up something wrong? It doesn’t matter if I run the DVD progressive, interlaced, s-video cable, or component cable. Anyone else have this problem?
7.gif

----------------

Bad transport. Take it back and get another one. As far as your two-year-old JVC is concerned, that's usually when the cheap ones start to go to $h1t anyway...

Guest Anonymous

not that i like consumer reports but they say the average dvd player only lasts 2-3 years, the entry level dvd plays anyways, also make sure that your dvds are not being stored in direct sunlight and getting cooked

Im so sorry...but you dont know which players perform well and which ones wont. BRO...I been with dvd since 1997...I owned 7 dvd players of all brands and colors. :) I should know what I am talking about panasonic sucks when it comes to their dvd players. I had panasonic twice...got what the gentlemen is describing at the end of the movie.

Never had a problem with a Sony. Truth is SONY rocks when it comes to dvd issues.

-antonio

----------------

On 1/10/2005 9:23:26 PM Enigma wrote:

Im so sorry...but you dont know which players perform well and which ones wont. BRO...I been with dvd since 1997...I owned 7 dvd players of all brands and colors.
:)
I should know what I am talking about panasonic sucks when it comes to their dvd players. I had panasonic twice...got what the gentlemen is describing at the end of the movie.

Never had a problem with a Sony. Truth is SONY rocks when it comes to dvd issues.

-antonio

----------------

I'm glad you had good fortunes with your Sony, man, really.

I've been involved with sales and service of DVD's since they first broke the $300 barrier (right around 1996), and I'm telling you, when the players got down below $200, there were waves and waves of dead players at the 2 year mark. Didn't matter what brand - JVC, Sony, Mitsi, Toshiba, the cheapos, they all started having laser alignment problems (directly the fault of cheap transport mechanisms) at around 18 months to 2 years. I dealt constantly with the same question from people - "My DVD player freezes up in the middle of a disc - what's wrong?"

You spend bucks on a player (like $500 and up) and you get one that's well-built, and it lasts.

Just like you used to with VCRs - a $500 VCR was a tank, a $100 one was disposable.

You can argue about Sony all you want, but if you like, I'll take you to the Circuit City repair center in NC and show you the hundreds of DVD players in for repair, and you can see for yourself that there are just as many Sony's in the pile as any others.

----------------

On 1/10/2005 9:52:36 PM Enigma wrote:

In that aspect about prices...I agree with you there.
:)
When they are cheap price...the dvd player is not all that good.

-antonio

----------------

That's all I'm saying. Badge means nothing when you get down to $150 or less. They all are fragile little POS's that crap out in a year and a half or so.

A Sony ES DVD player is gonna be a lot more rugged than a Sony DVP-series. It's a simple matter of cost of construction.

----------------

On 1/10/2005 11:07:54 PM ct1615 wrote:

The DVD player is on my top audio rack. Plenty of space around it. My DVDs are either in my player or in their case sitting in a DVD rack. There are no heating vents near them or direct sun light. I don't leave then out of their cases.

----------------

Bring the Panny back and get another one. You've got a bad transport mechanism. I'm telling you, it's a bum-out-of-the-box.

Before you change out your DVD player, it could be the disc. I have a very nice DVD player (Denon 2900) and have had the problem on a few discs. Just last week I was watching season 2 of The Dead Zone. About 4 episodes per disc and 2 episodes in a row on disc 3 were corrupt. The picture froze, then did the "digital break-up thing". The audio continued, though very muffled. All other episodes were fine. Try the quick (and cheap) fix first - exchange the DVD, not the DVD player.

Before you run out and replace the DVD or player try cleaning the

player with a cleaning disk. This past weekend I had a move really

starting to freeze and and break up. The I put the second movie we

rented and started doing the same thing from the start. Popped in the

dvd cleaner and presto works like a rented child.

----------------

On 1/10/2005 9:04:16 PM Enigma wrote:

Get a Sony and you won't have that problem.

-antonio

----------------

unhhhhh....bought a sony for my Mom, lasted 6 months and then crapped out. And look at Sony's original PS2 run, those things sucked the big one too (I'm one of the lucky ones, mine still works).