SPL meter

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i am new to the whole realm of 2 ch and what not, but at this point, there are a few things that i want to do with my system. Get a different pre-amp i do not like the one I have now, but for a short term thing, i was wondering if buying an spl meter and running tests would help to find the best position for my speakers and if there is any way that i could use an spl meter to help improve the sound of my system

Guest Anonymous

besides giving me the sound pressure level, what else can an spl meter do for me? i.e as far as tweaking my system and what do all the measurments that it will give mean and how can they be translated into something that can benifit me etc????

----------------

On 1/11/2005 12:11:39 AM Gramas701 wrote:

besides giving me the sound pressure level, what else can an spl meter do for me? i.e as far as tweaking my system and what do all the measurments that it will give mean and how can they be translated into something that can benifit me etc????

----------------

If you use the measurements along with a GOOD CD test record, you can balance a system for various frequencies. You can find best speaker placement.

The measurements tell you a collective story and when testing frequencv by frequency, find out if a speaker is over emphasizing, or if a component is doing the same through trial, error and switching what is playing.

The Radio Shack is about the best unless you have a noise ordinance and a friend with access to a meter that can be calibrated and its results admissable in a Court of Law. That would be for a summons or if a numerous repeat offender, an Arrest, etc..

dodger