What's wrong with my SVS 20-39pci?

rdfish1

There must be something wrong. This sub has never performed very well. I do have a large room (22x22) but the sub is barely noticeable with dvd's. It's much better with stereo, but still not a big boomer. I am beginning to wonder if there is a problem with my settings on the receiver, though i have combed through it thoroughly and can't find a setting problem.

the phase is at zero, crossover disabled, cable plugged to pre-out on receiver and goes into the "IN" on the sub. Gain is set at 50%, receiv is set flat. It just does not seem to have the bass i would expect.

any suggestions?

also, i don't know what this means, but i used the test tones on the marantz 7200 and the speakers all kick in like they are supposed to but when i used the sound/vision test video/sounds, the speakers to do rotate properly. IN other words, when the dvd says right surround, both the left and right are playing. The sub only has subtle juice.

The menu on the rec is set to "sub, yes" and the other speakers are set to small. As far as the sub connections on the back of the rec, I have two choices. One is the plug used, called Pre-out/subwoofer and this is the one that is being used in the manual of my receiver (marantz 7200). It seems to be the recommended input for a powered sub. The second plug that is labeled subwoofer is just below it and it seems to be part of the section on the rec labeled 7 ch input. The manual is not showing this connection on the diagram, which suggests i am doing it right.

Could it be the dvd setup. In other words, I have the dvd plugged into the back of the rec using std RCA (red/white) plugs, going into the rec input labeled DVD. Should I be using a digital connections via Dig OUtput or Digital Coax instead of the RCA plugs? Maybe this is the problem??? I am not sure what takes place within the receiver, but maybe the analog connection is not allowing the rec to direct the sound in a 5:1 format.

this stuff is really confusing to me...

I believe you will need to use a digital connection from the DVD to the receiver to properly allow processing of the surround signal. The two-channel RCA link probably will not work for the multi-channel format transmission, but is fine for two-channel stereo listening as you indicated. You may also need to look at the DVD player's menu to set up the correct digital output signal format as well.

Yes you have to use the digital output on the DVD player. Didn't you ever

notice that the DD or DTS light was not showing on movies. Without

anything else that is the problem why your sub is not giving the output

you will be. Make sure on you dvd you set the output to digital when

you make the connection.

All info seems good to this point. If you have the connections as analogue two channel to the DVD the best you will get is the dolby pro logic coding - this seems to be verified by the back (side) surround being one signal. Pro logic doesn't have tons of really low stuff output - I have to bump my output level by a minimum of 4db to get it near what i want (the same with music for me). First glance says your connections look fine.

Even under these conditions you should be able to test the sub for performance. I would first see if I could change the out put level in the receiver. If not here you can always bump the amp at the subwoofer. Play a bit of blues with some drum and bass guitar work that tends to be below your x over point and see what happens. You could try to raise the Xover point in the reciever to get more output to the sub.

My 20-39pci is a very capable beast and the SVS have a fairly low mortality rate on their speakers out of the box - so the first look should be near you connections, DVD set up and reciever. Expect to be very much pleased with a digital connection (coax or optical) from DVD to Reciever.

when set up properly, you CAN feed a decoded 2-channel DD/DTS track, decoded at the player, through a player's 2-channel analog outs. and many dvds do have a specifically-engineered DD/DTS 2.0 track. you just need to make certain your receiver is bass managing the analog input correctly.

however, i do agree. it looks like the poster is trying to get 5.1 sound back from an already-decoded and now 2-channel analog signal.

mystery solved. dang this stuff can be confusing. the two rca connections created a analog signal that did not allow my svs to perform nor the rest of my surround system. after creating a dig audio connection and adj the rec, i now have a great sounding sub and surround, after 10 months of disappointment.