Center Channel for Cornwalls (or I figured out what to do with my RF3's)

eq_shadimar

If ya all don't know I had a complete RF3 HT system. Then I got some Cornwalls and made them the front channels. I have been trying to figure out what to do with my RF3's. They would not work as rear surrounds do to space limitations so I just placed them aside. Well I got to thinking on Sat (dangerous I know but bear with me here) that I had just bi-wired the RC3. Humm two complete sets of cables going to the center channel. Hummm two un-used RF3's (ok you all can see where this is going right?). So in a flash of rare brillance I removed the single RC3 and replaced it with 2 RF3's (one on each side of the big screen). So far so good. I need to go through and re-balance the levels but I think that it will work until I can can afford to get 3 Hersey's (Surrounds and front). I definatly think that the RF3s will be able to keep up with the Cornwalls better than the single RC3. Any thoughts? Am I just totally crazy?

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

Main System -

CORNWALLS (circa '79 yippe)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running bridged 800W/4 ohms for sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

Bedroom -

KG4's or RF-3's (haven't decided yet)

Harman Kardon AVR 20 MKII

I won't comment on your new centres being able to keep up with the Cornwalls as these are foreign to me. I will say, however, that you might be better off with a single center channel directly in front of the screen. If it's too tall, simply lay it on its side. Alternately place it on top of the TV (if it's not too big). Again I know relativley nothing about the RF3 or the RC3 speakers. I do think it's important to have a single centre channel so the voices come from the "screen" instead of on either side. Just my opinion though and you might like it just the way it is.

Hurrmph well that turned out to be a waste of time. I could not get it to sound right so I am back to the RC-3. I am not versed enough to correctly describe the difference but I think that the dual RF-3's had more presence than the RC-3 and thus made the mis-matched timber more noticeable. The Cornwalls just seemed to lose it. Of course it could be that the receiver was driving a 4ohm load on the center and 8 ohm loads on the other channels too. Dunno anyway with the RC-3 back in place it sounds decent once again and I can live with it until I get a proper surround. now If I could only find someone with a single Cornwall for sale hummm.

Bu Bye,

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

I used a KLF-C7 for 2 ½ months; it could definitely keep up with my Cornwall and Heresy fronts. But it made its presence known as being the center speaker as well. Six weeks ago I replaced the C7 with an Academy Center, it plays well with the Cornwalls & Heresies. With the Academy in place there's a seamless blend of sound from right to left across the front. It's like the Academy does its job without calling attention to its self. I'm sure a Heresy as center would be a better match, but I'm very satisfied with the Academy.

Wes

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-16-2001 at 03:22 PM

Wes -

Humm that is good to know. I have seen the C7 and Academy on ebay but it looks like (depending on the auction) that getting a pair of Heresy's would be a better deal. What are you using for surrounds?

At this point I am not too worried about size etc because I will be building a custom wall unit and I will leave enough space in the cabinet above the TV for a Cornwall (the ultimate goal I guess). My plan is to build an angled shelf so that when the a Cornwall or Heresy is placed on it tweeter side down the tweeter and mid horn are aimed at the seating positon.

Thanks,

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

eq...Posted first response frow work & just got home and on line.

I'm using a pair of 71 Vertical Cornwall II's & the RS-3's from my RF-3 System. The RS-3's are mounted on the wall 5' 7" above the rear Cornwalls. This may seem like a strange set-up to some. But it sounds great to me, movies or music. I really like the 5 channel sound. Using an SV 20-39 & KSW-12 for sub duties. Running all speakers as small. I guess I've always liked to experiment. Well, it works for me anyway. I'm planning on a Digital Camera, after I purchase a pair of Quartets that I'm negotiating on.

Your plan for a custom wall unit sounds like a winner. I've got a quad home and my family room is below grade with windows all around at ground level. I really don't have the option to utilize custom cabinets. I see you plan to let the R*3 System go and get those three Heresey Speakers. Man you'll really be kickin'. How's that SVS Sub working out!

Good luck in your mission.

Wes