How to measure amplifier quality?

Colin

Now multiply db of noise by the rated power of each amplifier and see if the signal / noise ratio doesn't still work out. i.e. at the volumes you would listen at full power, the signal would swamp the noise by a huge margin with the crown amp. After all, where's the noise actually coming from. My guess is the preamp, not the amp. The amp noise is measured by disconnecting the input to the amp, turning it on, and then listening to the speakers. I bet you don't hear a thing with the pre-amp disconnected.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 1/21/2005 3:53:36 PM yaffstone wrote:

Now multiply db of noise by the rated power of each amplifier and see if the signal / noise ratio doesn't still work out. i.e. at the volumes you would listen at full power, the signal would swamp the noise by a huge margin with the crown amp. After all, where's the noise actually coming from. My guess is the preamp, not the amp. The amp noise is measured by disconnecting the input to the amp, turning it on, and then listening to the speakers. I bet you don't hear a thing with the pre-amp disconnected.

----------------

I bet you I do.

If you read my post careful you'll notice that I said the sources were disconnected. In this case that means everything ahead of the power amps - any preamp or control center too, so I know the noise is not coming from something ahead of the power amps and being amplified. Both amps are approximately the same power (the Crown are little D-60 and measure about 42 watts verses the Luxman tube at 50 watts).

On top of this, the Crowns also have some low-level mechanical hum which is audible in my dedicated listening room/studio. In the pro audio applications Crown are usually used in, this generally not a concern. One of these days I'll isolate the mechanical hum with some rubber grommets or something. For right now I turn them off when I do any "serious listening" with the tube amps. The Luxmans do not exhibit any mechanical hum from the transformers.

You know, S/N was the ONLY spec that I used to "rely" on.

Now THAT'S GONE TOO! oh well.

I'm now firmly on the "You can't rely on specs" bandwagon.

Who wants to TRY to push me off?! I'll take any of you on! I've got a degree in BS! The PWK kind of BS - the real BS - not a measely "Bachelors of Science" kind of BS or whatever that you can get in any old university if you pay them enough money (I know, I bought a BA, which I could have gotten cheaper in a strip club, I suppose, but I wasn't thinking!)...

hey, hitting somebody over the head with MY amount of education is like hitting them over the head with a floppy piece of sandwich meat... it don't hurt and it's kind of fun, and you can eat it later!9.gif

DM2.gif

Hello - much of what I've read on this thread is over my head. I never get to DEMO anything because I buy everything used and usually without a power receptacle close by. I bought my last system unheard out of the back of an SUV from a medical doctor from the parking lot of her office during my lunch break one day. Denon Class A amp, B & O TT, Pioneer CD, Yamaha cassette & Heresy speakers. (It all worked great and looked new, for a yard sale price!) I use the Denon with my Khorns in my open workshop (28' x 62)'. This system sounds great to my ears despite the bare 9' tall poured concrete walls. I want to place a LaScala between my Khorns and got the plans to build the center network from this forum some time back but have never acted on it. Would a late 70's or early 80's Technics receiver with a blown channel work OK to power the LaScala? Also, I was told a receiver with Pro-Logic II would work well. Would an Onkyo 5.1 channel high current Pro-Logic II receiver be a good bet? Circuit City has those well under 200. I just want to run my LaScala in the center with music only. Does anyone have a suggestion for a receiver to use?

FWIW - I sold my first Khorns a few years ago to an electrical engineer who brought his 4 watt kit built amps to audition them with. I'm definitely sold on tubes after hearing his with the Khorns, and he wasn't even satisfied with them because he wanted Russian tubes instead of the Chinese tubes it had! To me they sounded awesome! I was amazed at what 4 watts will do with Khorns!

Thanks in advance for your comments.

----------------

On 1/22/2005 11:10:15 AM horn player wrote:

I want to place a LaScala between my Khorns and got the plans to build the center network from this forum some time back but have never acted on it. Would a late 70's or early 80's Technics receiver with a blown channel work OK to power the LaScala?

Also, I was told a receiver with Pro-Logic II would work well. Would an Onkyo 5.1 channel high current Pro-Logic II receiver be a good bet? Circuit City has those well under 200. I just want to run my LaScala in the center with music only. Does anyone have a suggestion for a receiver to use?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

----------------

I would try and use the same amp on the center on the center if possible. Amplifiers all have their own "voicing", maybe not as dramatically different as speakers, but its still there and it can make the center channel stand out more than it's supposed to.

Pro-Logic II doen't work well for 2 channel with center channel. The first thing I did last year when I bought a Harmon Kardon 5.1 channel receiver was take downstairs and hook it up to the big 3-channel system. Very disappointing. 5.1 center channel works best with a discrete center channel like that found on DVD movie sound tracks. I didn't like it at all with 2 channel stereo. The derived phantom center channel (2PH3 box) works better IMO.