Expensive/inexpensive DVD player?

JJkizak

remember that $130 one is actually refurb and open box. I would suggest picking up the refurb for $30 more. OB can mean its scratched or missing the remote and such.

Also, with the refurb you can get a warranty through kenwood for fairly cheap, when you register the product. rb stock includes a 90 day warranty.

Also know that Ecost, after you receive the product... their support ends, and you have to deal with Kenwood should problems arise. I have never had a problem with ecost though

I'm really intrigued about the Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700 and I wasn't even in the market for this. It doesn't do SACD but does do DVD-A. I'm guessing it's a better value than the cheap Pioneer multi-format player?

I don't have an HDTV, so i don't know how useful the Faroudja Digital Video Enhancer would be. They talk about enhanced "horizontal" resolution at one point, so this might be something on top of progressive scan (which I can't currently use)?

I could get this shipped to Canada for C$222; not bad at all!

Is this 2001 model really recommended compared to an inexpensive current model multi-format player?

Thanks! 9.gif

----------------

On 1/19/2005 3:17:45 PM tqlla wrote:

remember that $130 one is actually refurb and open box. I would suggest picking up the refurb for $30 more. OB can mean its scratched or missing the remote and such.

Also, with the refurb you can get a warranty through kenwood for fairly cheap, when you register the product. rb stock includes a 90 day warranty.

Also know that Ecost, after you receive the product... their support ends, and you have to deal with Kenwood should problems arise. I have never had a problem with ecost though

----------------

I bought a refurb receiver from ecost. It was missing the second zone remote (which I wasn't planning on using anyway). I contacted them and they offered to take it back or give me a discount. I took the discount and was very happy with the service.

But yeah, I guess the non-OB is a safer buy, especially shopping across the border.

If you have a non-hd tv, the progressive scan will not be very useful to you.

But I do love this DVD players audio quality. 5-disc isnt bad either... though I have found that I can never remember what disc is what number.

Even though the Zenith 318 had better PQ, using 1080i upconversion, I would easily choose the kenwood for its superior audio

Thanks for the advice!

A while back I was considering buying the cheap Pioneer multi-format player, but it does some funky downconversion if you use bass management, which is a must for me (the La Scala need the sub). I see this Kenwood has bass management with fixed cross-over at 100 Hz; a little high for me but it might work out.

I've currently using a Pioneer DV-333 (C$300 in december 2000) using digital outputs to an h/k avr-325 (so not using the Pioneer's DACs).

I'm considering the Kenwood. (Wait until I tell my wife I've found something else to buy!)

VIDEOHELP.COM

Alot of the high dollar players cannot even play a DIVX or VCD burned cd or dvd. Not to mention MP3's on DVD media. My $69 Philips works great and plays everything I throw at it. A dvd player is not just for DVD movies in my home. Its something that can play the myriad of things I can burn on my PC too!

Yeah, I love this Kenwood. I just wish it was a 1080i upconverter.

I also suggest buying "Sarah McLaughlin - The Afterglow live". I feel that it is mixed even better than the Eagles DVD. Most DVDs default to 2-ch though, so you have to switch to 5.1.

My opinion is look for something cheap. My experience was I bought a $1000 Yamaha dvd changer a few years ago. Top of the line at the time. It worked good but it was very slow loading etc. When it played discs it would jump chapters etc. Something about certian dvd copyright is what I was told. About 2 years ago I bought cheap Apex dvd player. It plays everything I throw at it and has survived a million episodes of the Bug's Life dvd. The picture quality quite honestly is not much different and the audio is close. I also a got a cheap Panasonic dvd player for my bedroom and it to out performs the Yamaha. I remember reading on the Decware website where he took a Pioneer cheap dvd player and just upgraded the audio section because the transport was so good. But I must say if ya go to wally world and thump some of the new ones on the top they resonant badly but if ya throw some dynamat on it you may have a heck of a dvd player. Remember if you go to sell it in a few years you will not get no investment back.

I do bet one thing...

The cheaper DVD players have lower Manufacturer Margins then the Expensive ones since they sell so fewer of the expensive....

Reminds of Jaguar cars in the 80's....per crap...but expensive...hehehe

Actually, the MSRP-dealer cost on the cheap ones is about the same number of points as on the higher dollar units - the difference is, so many people are selling the cheap ones, they have to compete hard on price. BB, for example, makes about 2-3 bucks apiece on their cheapest DVD players. Now you know why they hard-sell the "attachments" - they make more on the $15 cleaning disc ($6) than they do on the player....

The kenwood refurb is already at an awesome price.

As far as Audio quality, it easily outclassed the Zenith 318, which is 3 years younger. At $250-300 MSRP, the Zenith is not that cheap(considering sonys can be had for $70). The Audio was not just a little different, it was very noticable, when listening to Music DVDs. Also, I had all the Dynamic range reduction off on the Zenith. BASS management on my kenwood was also off. Since I have 5 large speakers

As far as those Apex's go... dont know if they got any better, but I had an apex 3disc that died(V-sync). My friend Mary had the same one that died... same problems. My friend JB had the same 3 disc, and the tray died.

I gave him my dvd player so that he could combine them.. but he has gotten lazy.