Gettin' it on with Golson

boomac

Hey! this guy is great. Allan suggested "Groovin' with Golson" and I enjoyed that so much I picked up "One Day Forever" and "Up Jumped Benny". He's also featured on many other great recordings. Check out "blues-ette" where Benny is part of the Curtis Fuller Quintet. Benny had a cameo in the movie "Terminal" so I assume he's still playin' around.

I hear that place is well...not quite your typical jazz club. Instead of tables and chairs and whiskey, you sit in a concert-like setup and just watch, and listen. That's perfect for true jazz enthusiasts on one spectrum, but I've always believed jazz should be experienced in a dark, sexy, and smoky room, the way it was when it was invented.

I've been thinking of hitting up Harvelle's, Max's, and the Catalina with some pals soon.

That's just plain dumb. The Bakery is the best jazz venue in Los Angeles--plus its non profit and the musicians actually get PAID. Ruth Price is an amazing woman and to dis her dream becasue of some preconceived notion about the "right" kind of environment to hear jazz is STUPID. And you don't even LIKE jazz!

----------------

On 1/17/2005 4:35:01 PM Allan Songer wrote:

And you don't even LIKE jazz!

----------------

Since when? And whoa Allan, I wasn't dissin Ruth. I was just saying in I prefer jazz clubs where you can sit at tables and drink. Let's not put words in my mouth now. Relax, partner. Have a cocktail. Preferably something stiff.

I've heard Golson live about a dozen times in recent years--he never came close to putting the audience to sleep. He does favor the languid ballad over ferocious bop these days, but he has never been boring.

And for twenty dollars it sure beats staying home and listening to the hi-fi or watching TV!

EVEN IF THE BAKERY DOESN'T HAVE WAITRESSES HUSTLING DRINKS!

How do I get out of this one? "Good Gracious", I think it was garymd that actually turned me on to "Groovin with Golson" and that's "For Real". Yea, it's now "Formost" in my mind and I gotta say it's been a "Rumproller" of a ride listening to Benny. The cat's "Somethin' Else". I'm sure Allan knew about Benny as well and I hope he isn't feeling "Kind of Blue" because I took this credit away from him. We don't need any negative "Undercurrent" in the Forum. Yep, garymd can take credit and do the "Cool Struttin'" for givin' the Golson recommendation.

Ruth Price, who founded the non-profit Jazz Bakery in part of the old, abondoned "Helms Bakery" building in West Los Angeles about 10-12 years ago, is a pretty damn fine jazz singer. Her most famouns album was on Contemporary Records back in the early 1960's and is still in print as an OJC CD:

B000000Z7C.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Jazz Bakery is one of the best places in the whole damn country to listen to this music. Period.

----------------

On 1/17/2005 8:54:58 PM boomac wrote:

How do I get out of this one? "Good Gracious", I think it was garymd that actually turned me on to "Groovin with Golson" and that's "For Real". Yea, it's now "Formost" in my mind and I gotta say it's been a "Rumproller" of a ride listening to Benny. The cat's "Somethin' Else". I'm sure Allan knew about Benny as well and I hope he isn't feeling "Kind of Blue" because I took this credit away from him. We don't need any negative "Undercurrent" in the Forum. Yep, garymd can take credit and do the "Cool Struttin'" for givin' the Golson recommendation.

----------------

Nice post Boomac. All's forgiven. 12.gif

One or two of every hundred or so jazz recommendations come from someone other then Allan. I know it's hard to keep track.2.gif

So no "Candy" until you finish all your "Cornbread" you "Gigolo" and shade your eyes from those "City Lights", watch out for the "Sonic Boom" and "Take Twelve" in "The Cooker" before you head out to "Search For The New Land." I do have a "Sixth Sense" for these things and tonight I'm feeling "Delightfulee" "Expoobident."10.gif

Great LP! I listen to it about once a week.

Speakin of Groovin', I was just groovin' to Bags (Bag's Groove"), Modern Jazz Quartet's "Blues At Carnegie Hall." 200 gram limited edition half-speed master recording I picked up on ebay for a song (pun intended). If you like Bags, this is a great one to get.