FrankenScala Update

ooteedee

Baffle boards got a bit cooked on the way through the table saw...but they are straight and sharp.

Doghouse roof angle cuts went smoother with muliti-tooth carbide tip blade. Doghouse roof peak is now sharp enough to cut paper!

So far dimension accuracy is perfect. There will be no leaks in the doghouse.

All joints are glued, screwed and clamped.

Don't worry about excess glue. It will be sanded clean.

Yes....the motorboard throat opening is larger than it should. Based on the cheapo driver I have, D-Man's suggested I make it bigger. (Swappable motorboard with smaller opening in the works)

So far so good

post-16798-13819261200268_thumb.jpg

Wow... very nice. May I be so bold to ask how much this project costs for wood? I've always wanted to build a pair of Scalas or something, but I get the feeling I wouldn't make it through... I am a horrible craftsman. They are looking good, though. I look forward to seeing them finished! 1.gif

On the glue thing, the recommended Klipsch factory-approved method to avoid sanding off glue drips is by wiping excess off with damp cloth before it dries. Sounds logical.

That is a recommendation, not a requirement (I did not particularily clean up my drips the first time around, either).

DM2.gif

Yeah. I've been wiping the glue off with a wet rag.

I just screwed, glued, and clamped one doghouse roof together. Fits nice.

I'd do the other one but I'm one clamp short. So I'll wait a bit.

I was forced to use 3 screws on both sides of the doghouse...to attach the roof. I have some nifty squarehead zap screws with small heads. Just enough to hold on tight and they are buried flush. I intend to stain these things black so........nobody will see them. I'd rather it be tight than too pretty.

TPG: Home Depot had 4x8 sheets of 3/4 birch plywood on sale for $27 a sheet. Usually those boards are 40-45 bucks.