Luxman C-5000a owners? Any good?

D0N

Don I don't have a C5000 but bought a Luxman C300 in December of 2003 with my Cayin TA 30 tube int amp with very good results!! The C300 is from the early 80s so I am not sure if the C5000 is before or after that. Do a search on the web for Luxman and there are vintage sites, also a Luxman yahhoo forum you can try. I decided to try a 2004 Luxman L-505f integrated amp and bought one in Dec. I'm using it as a preamp and it sounds much better than the C300. Of course the C300 is 22 years old and the previous owner was a heavy, heavy smoker. From what I can remember the C5000 was suppose to be one of Luxman's best so with a good amp, try a tube amp if you don't have one, it should sound very good! For any questions about the C5000 go to Yahoo and find the Luxman yahoo group and they should be able to answer your questions.

Xman

Don, I had considered buying one before buying my 7T, it was a late 70´s early 80´s model that was a victim of the "spec wars" had incredible specs but the word was that it sounded kind of thin and flat. It was the second highest priced preamp in thier line at that point (I think the top was the C-05). If you plan to flip it let me know, I might buy it to see about modding it up. warm regards

l_c5000a.gif

?id=387449&outx=600

thanks sal. I looked through my audio mag annual directories from 79 to 83. It's only listed in 1980. I'll probably hold on to it until I can try it out for a while. It's made really well. The controls are the most precise feeling I have ever laid my hands on. Every rotary function (except the volume) has detents.

The guy I bought it from was in the process of selling his 4 story building. Each floor was used to display different groups of things he was selling. The first floor was all audio. Tons of stuff. The room was about 40 ft wide by 120 ft long. About 40 pairs of speakers were on the floor, turntables, cassette players, amps, receivers etc etc were all on tables. It was like a giant flea market of just audio.

Since he's selling the place he needs to clean it all out. I asked him how much for everything and he said he'd take $5000. He did have a lot of stuff but I think he's dreaming when he says $5000. There were a pair of professional jbl speakers that were probably valuable. But I didn't see anything else I thought was particularly valuable.

I wandered around for 1/2 hour or so and saw mostly "junk". Then I spied the luxman. I'm not familiar with the luxman models at all. I've never owned one so I had no idea what I was looking at. Luckily, I knew the luxman name from ebay and other message boards. I read "luxman" on the face and figured it was probably worth buying. It's one of those brand names that you can just look at and tell it's quality. We'll see. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get my $70 back out of it. 2.gif

If anyone is near glens falls ny and wants to see what he's got give me a shout for his info.

Here it is with the wood case removed.

P1200001.jpg

P1200002.jpg

• 7 years later...

Just a word of caution regarding *some* vintage Luxman.

Sometime in the mid 80's Luxman was bought by car stereo manufacturer Alpine Electronics. At the time, Alpine was attempting to pursue the high-end car audio market. If I remember correctly, Alpine became standard equipment in cars like Lamborghini. This didn't last too long. Alpine then pursued the low-end and mid-fi markets. The Luxman brand consequently became victim to this scenario as well. While they still made a few interesting pieces, products of this era were not in the same league with their early 80's and prior era. Luxman is now independent again and producing ultra high-end products commensurate with their original heritage. Alpine still does a large part of their business producing OEM products for premium brand vehicles.