It's EVERYWHERE, Klipsch/Yamaha"bright" Paradigm/NAD, Denon "warm"

gibby214

Looks like a long road of upgrading. Wish I had some high end audio dealers within 2 hr drive of here. Got my Yamaha from the local dealer that carries Paradigm. I drive 3 hrs to my Klipsch dealer which das Denon. Got an Ultimate Electronics 1 hr away but those turkeys aren't much better than the Best Buy across the street. At least I got this forum for good advise. Thanks,

gib

I wasn't happy with the sound I got when I paired the RF-7 with my Yamaha DSP-A1000. It was fine at lower volumes but sometimes I like to blast it and I couldn't stand it for long. I upgraded to a McCormack/B&K combo and I'm happy at any volume now.

I'm not dissing Yamaha at all, they make great products. I hear the new RX series of receivers are not as bright as cheaper models although I've never heard them.

As far as people dissing Klipsch as a whole...whatever. To me every other speaker sounds as if it's playing from the bottom of a well when compared to Klipsch.

The funny thing is I had to go without my Klipsch for like a week or two, and I got these headaches something fierce from listening to other speakers. They were so bright compared to the balanced sound of my klipsch. They had this exaggerated top end that just killed my ears. I had to crank them much louder to get the clarity I was used to. Well I got my klipsch up and running and it's back to good sound. I had to get a new receiver which I use Harman Kardon a fine company. I just recently got a B&k amp to add to it and it's a whole different world of good tunes. Midrage is unreal and there are highs I never new my Klipsch were capable of. But they are never harsh. I recomend not using a dvd player as your cd player complete garbage no matter what amp or speakers you have unless you spend tons on one. Actually if you get a good amp it will even show you how bad it really is. I've tried and tried to get it right with a dvd player it's just not possible when you can get a real cd player which I recomend if you want some real weight to your sound an a richer warmer tone. I found that many interconnects will color your sound which is really good if your using a tinny dvd player as your cd player. I found that Acoustic research is a real good tamer for those harsh tones. Run it analog to the cd input and run the coax for the digital side of things. Anyways I love my Klipsch! I wouldn't sweat it. People dissing Klipsch they obviously never heard them hooked up properlly. A good tube preamp would blow there heads off with Klipsch. Probally the most underated component and maybe the most important. In my experience the digital to analog converters are the real champs when it comes to that warm wide soundstage. Look for a good source way more important than the amp. As long as you get a descent quality amp with low distortion and high current. Their are many things that can color your sound so an amp will make a difference, but will do you absolutely no good if your source has a tin foil thin tone.

The way I see it, Klipsch gives the 'real' sound, which is not always warm and cozy. If someone is blowing on a sax or trumpet, it is not going to be 'quiet', it will be loud! Even been to a live show (small venue) where someone was playing a brass instrument? It is LOUD!!!

Some people (and this is fine) want a refined sound where nothing is loud, things are all about the same levels.

Personally, I do not find my Chorus II's (these are probably the 'brightest' speakers out there to people who don't like the sound) bright at all - they sound natural!!! I just don't get the bright part. Now some speakers I listen to sound flat out muffled.

It just depends if you want to 'play back a recording' or 'be at the concert' - your call.

Bear in mind 99.9% (probably close to the truth) of live music is renfourced by way of massive horn tweeters (and in some cases, horn mids and woofers) - not gonna find domes and ribbons anywhere.

Wheelman, Hope they let me take a CD player home with the Reciever to Demo. Good point on the source thing. In the mean time for curiouity I'll try my 11 year old Technics CD player for comparison. About those interconnects are you just talking about a digital coax cable.? Then there are special ones that tame down.

I've got a $35 monster cable and a big thick $15 cable from Ram Electronics. Used them both on DVD and HDTV reciever, didn't notice a difference but wasn't listening for one.

gib

----------------

On 1/23/2005 4:24:50 PM gibby214 wrote:

Wheelman, Hope they let me take a CD player home with the Reciever to Demo. Good point on the source thing. In the mean time for curiouity I'll try my 11 year old Technics CD player for comparison. About those interconnects are you just talking about a digital coax cable.? Then there are special ones that tame down.

I've got a $35 monster cable and a big thick $15 cable from Ram Electronics. Used them both on DVD and HDTV reciever, didn't notice a difference but wasn't listening for one.

gib

----------------

Actually believe it or not you may have better luck with an older cd player. I think some had a really good sound to my ears back in the day. On the cable side of things I was talking about the AR performance analog cable not digital.

klipsch are great, and i think they are a target is because they are a benchmark. but having had many different makes of receivers and seperates on a variety of klipsches i can tell you yammy does make your ears bleed terrible, sony is like a boom box, as far as good? almost everything else is a cut above

I've heard the same thing about HK paired with Klipsch.....from my experience they were when paired with the Synergy series ( I took them home, tried them for a while and hated them), but then went for the HK paired with Reference series and they sound incredible.

I had Yamaha in the 80s (forgot the number) and it sounds terribly bright. And I had a Yammie 2070 (correct number?) in the mid 90s. No brightness, seems they have learned their lesson.

Wheelman, I totally agree!

My dvd player sounds terribly thin with CD when compared with my 12 year old marantz CD10 (connected with analog output).

Check the source before complaining about the amp!