OLD OLD Heresy's for Sale

Hey guys, you see these??

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1263593199

------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

McIntosh MC-30 (driving Belle)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Chris,

I saw those last Friday and sent the seller an email asking what was his preferred method of payment and actual Zip Code. Because it was not indicated in the description. His reply was Money Order and Zip 45458.

They're definitely early vintage and not bad. Some finish work and they'd be a real nice pair. I've noticed that the high bid hasn't changed since last Friday. Those PWK emblems are similar to those on my Vertical Cornwall II's. Same type placement too, both in right corners of upper cabinets. I'm very curious as to why there are different emblem placements on the Vertical II's and other models as we see here. Can anyone enlighten us as to why Klipsch did this on some models? Does it convey anything significant or unique?

Wes

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-14-2001 at 05:09 PM

I have a pair of Heresy's that are identical to these and they were made in 1964. The depth of this heresy cabinet is smaller than the Heresy's that are made today. All other cabinet dimensions are identical. In fact you can take a grill cloth off of a present day heresy and it will fit in the 1964 heresy opening. The drivers are different though. Dan

Dan, how do they sound vs current day Heresy's? I've got a pair of early Cornwalls with the vertical horns, and they sound fabulous. My 1978 Heresy's sound great too. Just wonder if these are worth bidding on ...

Chris

------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

McIntosh MC-30 (driving Belle)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Hi Fellow Klipsch Fans, Unfortunately it appears one of the SP12's was injured during transportation. You may have seen one of my posts in the Troubleshooting section inquiring about repairs. It's definitely rubbing or that's my best guess. Lots of buzzing and fuzziness, especially with bass heavy music. Other than that, and the stains are worse in real-life than the photos, the speakers are neat. Cabinets solid. The tweeters and squawkers are clear and crisp. I hope the repair shop can help me. Hope to refinish the cabinets when the cold weather arrives. All the information is appreciated regarding this model. Enjoy the Music....jim

Sorry to hear one of your woofers is bad. But don't feel bad, you still got a good deal. I have a pair of 1966 speakers like yours, but in theater black. Love them.

If your speaker buzzes, it was probably bad before it was shipped. If the cone is intact, this usually means the speaker was subject to serious abuse (too much power for too long). The voice coil former distorts and the coil rubs against the magnet assembly. It could also be that the speaker was reconed somewhere along the line and the voice coil is misaligned.

It may be better to find a working replacement than to get it reconed. I believe EV isn't making replacement cones for this speaker anymore . So any replacement would be generic aftermarket. Of course, as if you do decide to get it reconed, do both so they sound the same. And fine a quality reconer. There is in the San Francisco bay area that does speakers for recording artists. Don't recall the name.

Looks like the cabinet is an oiled walnut finish. You may be able to rescue it with some 0000 bronze wool and Danish walnut finish. Just be careful not to go through the veneer. Alternatives are painting or reveneering the existing cabinets or building new ones. Veenering these cabinets is not very difficult, particularly if you use self-adhesive veneer. Building a new cabinet is not at all difficult if you are handy at woodworking and have access to the requisite tools.

Let us know what you do!

Went back and looked at the pictures on eBay. That vintage SP12Bs have red surrounds. One of yours does not. So either the speaker has been replaced or it was reconed somewhere along the line. Are the serial numbers on the two woofers reasonably close? Is the one with the black surround the one with the problem? If so, I would bet that it was reconed badly.

Hi Malcolm,

The speaker with the red surround is the one that's bad. The other woofer sounds good. I haven't inspected the working unit. Due to my lack of knowledge I assumed the driver with the red surround was the one that was reconed. From your info I guessed incorrectly. The driver that is bad didn't have any cosmetic damage or apparent damage from shipping, so you may well be correct in your belief that the driver was overheated in it's past life. Due to the sensitivity of the Klipsch speakers I'm sure I won't be testing the power handling when everything is back together. There's plenty of presence in my listening room at lower power levels. At 5 watts these speakers fill the room. That's enough for most of my listening. No time now, but regarding the refinishing I hope to have lots of time this winter and will take plenty of time working on them. Any advice on cleaning the grills without weakening/fading them? Thanks..Enjoy the Music...Jim

Unless the guy your bought them from owned them since 1964, both cones may have been replaced at one time or another. I have owned SP12Bs that came originally with paper surrounds. But they were the older style redish brown baskets. I think there were also later style SP12Bs with paper surrounds. But, as far as I can tell, the SP12Bs used in the early Heresys came originally with the red cloth surround, as did the CTS speakers that replaced them. Its really not important which ones you end up with. But the surrounds and spiders of the two speakers should match so they have the same comliance, and so the speakers have the same sound.

Malcolm,

I removed the reconed K-22 tonight and the cone definitely looks different. No screen on the whizzer cone. The surround is black. I sent dig.photos to shop to help the repair person determine route to take with repairs. I appreciate your recommendations regarding making the drivers the same. After viewing the current and completed auctions on Ebay for Heresy speakers, I am inclined to agree with you about a good value, even with the bad woofer. I'm fortunate enough to have another pair of Heresy speakers that need cabinet repairs. Multiple corners are damaged on both. They are raw birch. Know a co-worker that enjoys woodworking. Said he would show me the ropes on veneering. May not be original, but I have some beautiful birdseye maple veneer that was purchased just for these speakers. Gonna give it a try. Plan on putting maple moldings on the front edges. Thanks for help with the H's. Jim