What makes good systems allow you to do with music:

kenratboy

EDIT: I completly screwed up the title, should have read: "What good systems allow you to do with music"

It is sure fun to be able to sit back for an hour or two and listen to the music you love.

Just some observations I am finding (still on less than ideal gear, other than the speakers) are how much you can pick apart in music. On the Chorus II's, any sort of rock music allows you to rip it apart. You sit and listen, and you can pick out one specific part (gentle rim shot, whatever that is called, goes to the beat), and just listen to it, you can hear each one individually, if it was too hard, too soft, or just right. You can listen to a guitar and just 'feel' every string. It is fun to do this, or obviously take it all in.

Other songs I have contain kick drums throughout, and you can instatly tell if they are electronic (all the same) or actually played - if they are played, you can sit and listen to how each hit is. Thanks to the incredibly detailed bass on my Chorus's, I don't hear a 'bump', I hear and feel many different things on each strike, it is REAL. Amazing. Always brings a smile to my face.

Try this on inferior speakers and you just hear 'sound' with no detail or emotion. Music is kinda there, but you are just hearing noise, not music itself.

I wish everybody, at least once in their life, could sit down in private, with a good system (I mean, even some larger Reference's driven by a good receiver) and listen to their music for a hour or so. I bet there are many people who just don't realize (because they have never heard a good system!) what they are missing.

Just like cars. Everyone needs to get a ride in a good Corvette, Porsche, Ferrari, etc. - just so they can see what is available. Heck, the Subaru WRX STi I rode in was a BLAST.

Any thought to my lunitic ravings and rants?

The other day, a jazz fan friend of mine was listening to some John Coltrane with me, and he put it simply:

"In my car, all I hear is pauses and silence. On your system, I actually hear him taking a breath and pressing on the notes before the music even comes out."

Not the most sophisticated of responses, I realize, but you catch my drift...

Ken

You and I ARE both Lunatics about sound and your observations regarding the sonic detail revealed by high quality speakers are absolutely bang on!

Quality loudspeakers should be capable of revealling every subtle nuance that the recording engineer was able to capture. What was not/cannot be captured obviously cannot be reproduced which partially explains why even the best systems reproducing the best recordings never quite replicate the sound of a live performance.

I had a friend visit me last weekend who is a music freak. I played an old Billie Holiday recording and as we listened he said "I'm hearing every instrument and what the musicians are doing with them!"

----------------

On 1/23/2005 12:23:19 AM nicholtl wrote:

The other day, a jazz fan friend of mine was listening to some John Coltrane with me, and he put it simply:

"In my car, all I hear is pauses and silence. On your system, I actually hear him taking a breath and pressing on the notes before the music even comes out."

----------------

Well, thats just it! You show people that there is a whole lot on that CD they have never, ever heard. Even a modest system can convey these little things most systems cannot.

----------------

On 1/23/2005 12:23:19 AM nicholtl wrote:

----------------

No, not the most sophisticated? Why does the connection with music have to be "sophisticated"? or the realization of articulate,reproduced sound. Your friend is more the MUSICAL sophisticate than you.

Analogman

----------------

On 1/23/2005 12:56:54 AM analogman wrote:

What is GOOD?

What does GOOD mean, exactly?

Thank you for your help,

Analogman
----------------

Actually, I said it in the body of the text fairly literally.

But to get more deep - a system that allows you to begin to hear pretty much everything on the recording. B&W's can do it, Klipsch's can do it, Martin Logan's can do it.

Music on high sensitivity speakers is quite revealing as eveyone has noted. It can be smooth when the program material is smooth, and very grainy on poor recordings. Some reviewers rate high sensitivity speakers lower for being too revealing on poor recordings. It's their loss.

It has taken me a long time to get the bass just right. I can now hear the difference in all of the various drums in everything from rock to classical. Kettle drums sound like you are there with the drummer.

Bill