Quartets or hold for forte II's?

oldtimer

If the Quartets are available nearby for a price that is attractive, I say get them. When (if) that great deal on the Forte II's does materialize, you can decide if you need the upgrade. Meanwhile you'll have a very nice and complete system while you wait instead of an unfinished one.

Quartets make excellent surrounds with Forte IIs up front. I would consider selling the Academy to finance two more Forte IIs, use them for surrounds and use the Quartets for front and rear centers. I have auditioned this set up and "Lordy" it's fantastic. (risers off the Quartets and placed horizontally)

I would say hold out for the Forte's.

It's too bad that you live in Texas, I am thinking of up grading my 94 Forte 2's with a pair of RF-7's. Once I do I will be selling my Forte's. Since, I don't have the original boxes for the Forte's and I would prefer that the buyer be able to drive to Toronto to pick them up. I would hate to see them damaged in shipping.

Conversely, it's too bad you live in Toronto. I have time to drive during most months up to a day and a half to retreive items, but Toronto is a longer proposition. You never know, it could work out if and when....

I do have my original boxes so renting a van and packing them up is not a problem.

I say go for the quartets. I have 4 forte IIs and an academy.

I feel the rear forte's capability is mostly under utilized as rear surrounds. I am going to move the rear fortes to a 2 channel system and put a smaller pair of altecs back to surround duty.

YMMV

I will certainly keep you in mind then. I'm looking to purchase the RF-7's in March. If you want you can send me an email gverdes@rogers.com and I will let you know when I will be selling the Forte 2's. There in excellent shape with Oak veneer (I can include picture in the email). I think a fair price will be $650US plus shipping.