Any Digital Multimeter recs?

fini

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That "thing" you are pointing at? Is a "thingamajig". The metal and white piece next to it is a wire wound resistor also called a "blivet". It is marked like a resistor but the value 22X 10 to the 10th power? What does it measure at? Resistive or capacitive? (A capacitive measurement is where your meter starts low and increases as the cap charges eventually reaching into the meg Ohm ranges.

The shiney thingies in the lower picture are low tolerance, coated resistors. The gold band means 5% tolerence, a silver bans would be 10% no fourth band is 20%.

"I haven't tried it yet, but do these things really leave wires de-soldered to the point where you can just un-twist or un-wind them? Amazing!"

You wish.

For me, I use the solder sucker to get the major portion of the solder, to the point where there isn't enough solder for the solder sucker to take anymore.

Then you wick the rest off with the solder wick.

If all goes well, the part should be pretty much falling out by then.

woof!

I picked up one of those cool touch (or whatever they're called) soldering irons at the Mouse House. The sales guy thought it would be neat if I bought one. I loved making him happy!

It's an interesting process, this project. I'm picking up tidbits of info here and there, BSing with the dudes at HSC electronics (especially customers). You'd think I was pulling teeth with some of these old timers. Makes me appreciate what I can get, though.