Component, Parts Lifespan Primer

dodger

This is meant as an any or all question to answer, "primer."

But it is opinion, not gospel, as no-one can answer the questions and guarantee all answers.

As a Tubed Unit owner I have my own experience and Preferences.

Many times I see similar questions Posted on the Forum about:

Tubed Amplifier, Pre-Amplifiers: How much maintaining ? Is it costly?

Vintage Tubed Units Vs New:

Pros and cons

Internal Component: Capacacitor, Resistor, Power Supply: Expected Lifespan, are for example 35 years old parts going to spec out the same as when new? Applies to Both SS and Tubed Units.

Should some Internal Components be i. e., Capacictor , Resistor, Power Supply be replaced or upgraded on Vintage Equipmemnt. Tubed or Solid State: does it make a difference for these Components?

Advantages of buying New Units?

What is the average tube Life?

How do I replace tubes and what does NOS Mean?

Are tubes easily available? Are they costly?

This meant for all to be able to answer. We know experience differs, but we may gain some ideas by what is posted.

If you are a Tech, Component builder, or very experienced that might be helpful or not helpful, you decide.

These are not definites, just experience that we can share, a "primer" so to speak.

You can answer All or only those questions you feel Comfortable with.

If you have some ides as to costs, those may be mentioned but not considered absolute.

If you wish to expand to Turn-Tables, Cartridges, Speakers from your experience, please do so.

If you wish this to be a thread that can be referred to, please note.

The more replies, the better. For experienced and Newcomers.

Thanks Ahead.

dodger

As I noted I wanted a "primer," I wished to keep my answers to some questions Separate.

I find That Tubed units require some maintaining. As do SS units.

In my experience, I have found that tubes last longer tha people give the m credit.

Tubed or Solid Stae it is YOUR preference.

Parts - Capacitors, resistors do degrade over time. How much, how fast partially depends on quality.

But I would not expect a 35-40 year Capacitor or Resistor to be within 15 - 20 % of its initial value.

With Vintage units, parts avaialability, cost and condition are to be a concern, but not a deterrent. Again compared to New, it's your call.

Be skeptical of really great deals, unless they are Forum Members.

I will offer equipment here before I would eBay It or list on AudioGoN. I will also offer at a lower price, as do many others. That is appreciated.

I find replacing tubes to be a matter of holding by the base and pulling, some wiggling may be required. A tube pin straightener is available and useful.

I have no hesitation in recommending well cared for used Klipsch Speakers.

This starts the "Primer."

dodger

Win:

What about speakers??? How many of us have Klipsch speakers that we bought on the secondary (thirdary???) market that are still going strong?

I think many get tired of a certain piece of equipment before it actually wears out...of course technology changes and those that must keep up with that change for changes sake (or to get some really neat, gotta have it, gee gaww)

Of course all you tube guys will prove me wrong and if I ever get my Dad's old Sherwood/Eico combo up and running (he boughtit/made it in 1956) I guess you could say that an amplifier/tuner might have some almost 50 year life span...PLUS!

Bill

Tubed Amplifier, Pre-Amplifiers: How much maintaining ? Is it costly?

=> I think I have about $ 650 into my Scott LK-48 with the 7189 output tube. Soundslike $ 1200 to me. Phono section is more musical than ANY SS integrated (under $ 1000) I have listened to.

Phono performance is the icing on the cake for vintage tubed integrateds and pre amps.

A New preamp will be more quiet though but the best I have heard is the Blueberry at a serious investment cost.

The Blueberry should last at least 25 years from the build quality I have seen.

Vintage Tubed Units Vs New:

Pros and cons

Internal Component: Capacacitor, Resistor, Power Supply: Expected Lifespan, are for example 35 years old parts going to spec out the same as when new? Applies to Both SS and Tubed Units.

=> supposedly caps take more of a performance reduction over time compared to a resistor; I would like to recap my 1974 Yamaha integrated amp sometime to see

Should some Internal Components be i. e., Capacictor , Resistor, Power Supply be replaced or upgraded on Vintage Equipmemnt. Tubed or Solid State: does it make a difference for these Components?

=>old rectifiers supposedly are very weak over 30 years; mods on vintage tube units are a journey of discivery

Advantages of buying New Units?

=> Warranty and shiny out of the box

What is the average tube Life?

=> In 2 vintage tube amps over 2 years one rectifier tube and one power transformer went out. They were rebuilt by a good Tech with new caps

How do I replace tubes and what does NOS Mean?

=>NOS unused old tube from 30+ years ago

Are tubes easily available? Are they costly?

=> E bay or many stores nationwide; they are not at radio shack anymore; many new tubes from Russia, China and Easter Europe can be purchased, quality varies by tube model and brand

Thank you both for a start.

Silersport: by all means, if you have speaker knowledge or experience, please share that.

I would truly like as many replies as possible.

This is not a question list that I need the answers for personally.

I'd like the answers so that newcomers may gain some insight.

Win

One of my friends now owns the old Yamaha receiver I owned, that was the first receiver I ever bought, which is the first unit that started my whole Quest in this hobby. My exploding passion in this field.

It's about 6 years old, which I realize is nothing in the grand scheme of things compared to some of you veterans, but still, for a SS receiver/amp to last 6 years and still have all it's functions, LCD displays, DSP circuits, DACs, and the like, to be working as good as the day I took it home from the store, says something about electronics nowadays.

With the exception of Sony (which I've had a bad experience with in the past), it seems to me that once you pay over a certain dollar mark, say $500, you're getting a pretty damn decent product.

I have a pair of Heresy Birch Raw (HBR) speakers that sound great and seem to work great as well as looking very good as well...they were built in Hope, Arkansas in 1978 and seem to be in as good a condition as when they were built (27 years or thereabouts)...value for the dollar!

I have a pair of Heresy Walnut Oiled (HWO) enroute from a Forumite and from the pictures they too appear near as new and should sound just as grand! These were built in 1981 and that too seems to be value for the dollar...especially since the 2 sets of Heresys cost me less than 1 set new.

I am selling a pair of KG2s to a buddy of mine who wishes to be Klipschized...he is currently listening to some older Fisher speakers that have just totally disintegrated...I got great deals on my Heresys so I thought I would sell him my KG2s at a great price, bringing him into our world of Klipsch AND passing on the gift given me by some of you...The KG2s are Oak Oil (OO) from 1990 and look and sound as the day they were made.

lest you think this is only limited to Klipsch, my first "nice" system is still in use at my sister's house...bought brand new in 1979:

Yamaha CA 610II 45wpc Amp

Yamaha sumthin or other Tuner

Technics direct drive turntable

Bose 301s Series II with the moveable paddle (these speakers look good but haven't nearly the looks (or sound) of Klipsch)

...25 years and still goin' strong...

My 2nd nice system, still looks great and sounds great...bought in 1990:

Nakamichi TA/2(A)50wpc Tuner/Amp (Nakspeak for receiver)

Nakamichi CR-1(A) Cassette Deck

B&O RX2 Turntable

Klipsch KG2s (on the way to their second life)

...almost 15 years and still goin' strong...

Yamaha CD player I bought in 1987...JUST now gave up the ghost...it plays but skips and the door now only closes with a little help...I was able to get it to open VIA remote but...

...17 years seems about it for the CD player

What does all this mean?

For me it meant that I got tired or had to have the "upgrade" before the "stale date" was up on the products with the exception of the Yamaha CD player...

I think the Klipsch KG2s were a step up from my Bose 301s...the Heresys are a BIG step up from the KG2s so I see no upgraditis problems there...

Did I NEED to go from the Yammy CA-610II to the Nak? Nope...I was helping my big brother get his new system and caught the bug goin' from store to store...How bout the jump to Outlaw Audio 950/7100...I needed to do this to have HT/5.1/7.1 etc. since this IS a step in a different direction from "stereo."

I needed to upgrade the CD player because the Yammy just quit...well it's dying slowly!

I didn't need to upgrade from my Technics table to the B&O but the B&O was just too neat to pass up on and it cemented the deal for selling off the "old" stuff.

As for my Dad's Sherwood S1000 tube mono-amp, 25wpc...1 channel driven and Eico HFT92 tube AM/FM tuner...well...last I heard them run was about 1990...I believe they still work but I lack the knowledge (but I am willing to learn) to get it together...it was still running fine then...the Electrovoice or Utah (I can't remember which) 15" woofer with tweeter attached single speaker in Dad's homemade speaker box died about then but only because a careless person pierced its cone with something...ending its life prematurely after "just" 39 years!...

That puts Dad's "Hi-Fi" stuff at almost 50 years and I believe still running...I have to say that listening to music through them in the 60's and 70's and even the 80's "only" 25 watts through that one speaker was LOUD!

So, Win...is this the kind of anecdotal type response you were looking for?

C'mon people...write something...there are others listening!

Bill

I dont have years of experience on this - well about 3 or 4 I guess but from what I have seen tubes, especially power tubes dont last nearly as long as I had hoped they would. that might be related to the type/make of course. In 2 years I burned 3 KT88's (JJ Electronics) and within a year of getting my current amps (Electro Harmonics EL34) one burned. Having said that the supplier thought that wasnt acceptable either so he replaced it FOC.

I now keep lots of spares in the house.

when I ran SS amps I never had any problem - ever - and that is including an old Sony unit from 1984 that is apparently still going strong in our cleaner's house.

Now that I have installed a power regulator thing I hope the tube life will lengthen a little.

These are the kinds of things that may help. Bill they are holes drilled3.gif

But, that post show how well Klipsch stand up to time.

Max - you sell yourself short, you have a lot of knowledge.

In sharing this thread, perhaps it may help or give some points to ponder for all of us.

Thanks,

Win