Cheap Interconnects...No really, Different Question...

SilverSport

I have done the searches here and elsewhere about all the different interconnects (patch cables, connecting wires, etc.) and I fall somewhere to the cheaper end of that arguement...at least for now...I believe the super cheapies you get with some stuff to be too cheap for my ego...9.gif2.gif3.gif ...but I can't see (hear???) spending MANY hundreds of dollars or more on the "good stuff" audio jewelry, boutique wires...er, interconnects.

I had read where several people spoke highly about RadioScack Gold interconnects...problem is, when I went to RatShack to get some, they were cleaned out of a lot of it...not much information on the packets themselves (some said double shielded, some did not) and some actually looked different...(the 17 YO girl working in there said, "Yeah, I think that's new.")

I left that RadioShack to look for another and stopped by my local Frye's...they had a lot of different cables and I found "RCA" brand "High Performance Digital Cable" along with Philips (Magnavox), Mons*er and others...The RCA brand looked very similar, except for the jacket to the RadioShack Gold (Gold connector and spring relief wrap as well as double shielded...it also LOOKED better (clear PVC jacket with silver colored braided shield, foil shield, dialectric and a pure copper signal conductor...plus side it seemed to be a bit cheaper still than RadioShack Gold (and they had plenty) and also appears to be the same connectors and strain relief spring as RadioShack...possibly an alternative to the RatShack Gold...by the way, the "new" RadioShack Gold loses the spiral wire (spring) relief wrap (even though it is still listed on the rear under the description) and looks very similar to the cheap Mons*er they also sell.

Does anyone have any experience with this clear jacketed "RCA" brand cable?

Your thoughts would be appreciated...If I feel the need, I had been thinking of getting bluejeanscable or apature wire once I get this HT thing together and set up in my viewing area.

wheeeew!

6.gif3.gif2.gif9.gif16.gif

Bill

Griff:

I didn't know that and I appreciate your response...Anytime I have gone into RadioShack there has been someone working who seems very knowledgable about electronics and such...this time it was just someone collecting a check...no help with interconnects (at least she didn't try to talk me into Mons*er)

I tried BB AR cable but it seemed cheaply made and not badly priced...this RCA brand stuff seemed better made, the spring relief is for some reason comforting to me and so...there was my decision.

Thanks for taking the time to reply...anyone else want to chime in, I am ALL ears...(makes me look funny!2.gif )

Bill

In my limited experience, there are 3 levels of I/Cs. The cheapos that come with your equipment, the mid-level stuff like Monster, Blue Jean, etc. and the really high-end, expensive stuff.

First off, never use the cheapos. Just toss them in a box for your kids VCRs. I have a hard time telling the difference between a $30 I/C and a $100 I/C but I can definitely tell the difference between the $100 I/Cs and the $600 I/Cs. I have a pair of Siltecs (silver) and can definitely tell the difference between those and the mid-level or mid-priced cables. I didn't think I would until I tried them. Mine are borrowed and I seriously doubt I'd ever buy a $600 pair of cables but its been fun testing them out.

Try your local Audio dealer and see if there is something there in the decent price end that is not Mon$ter.

It amazes me how they get away with believing that people can tell me that $11,000.00 speaker cables are worth it. Or $1000.00 Interconnects on a $2000.00 piece of equipment.

Gary Knows my ears, when in Maryland to pick up the Cornwall IIs gary checked out as a big favour to me, I heard his system. Even with our wives chatting away, I caught all of what he wanted me to.

I like bluejeans, Apature, Vampire Wire. Decent prices, quality no snake oil.

dodger

Everyone...this seems to agree with what my head is telling me...I bought these better than what comes with the stuff but not as good as...bluejeanscable, apature, vampyr, etc. so I could connect all the gear I presently have (Outlaw Audio sends you none) and hear it...I had some of the cheapo stuff and not knowing the HiFi cabinet, A/V rack whatever I will end up with, well, I didn't want to spend too much and then do it again if I needed longer interconnects...So that answers it for me, I did okay within the range I was looking at right now and I am sure the "better" stuff (meaning, better jacket, wire, connector, etc.) will be upgraded when I need to.

Thanks for your insight!

Bill

In DJ'ing, I found that the cheaper interconnects with molded plugs / strain relief actually outperformed the radio shack gold plated ones. After many removal / installation cycles the radio shack ones began to fall apart. Not so with the cheapies!

The radio shack connectors are a lot tighter, which means that disconnecting, they put a lot of stress on the jacks in the components. This may not apply if you only plug and play, but for those that rotate gear like underwear, the cheapies might be the best bet. You do not know the stress when you have to trace an intermittant connection, solder a connection and get the cable back in service 15 minutes before you have to play music for 5 hours!