O/T...Born2rocku's - DRUMSET (recording studio)

Born2RockU

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cd you mention by UK (the band) is their second release titled Danger Money.

The original UK cd release is w/ BillBruford.

I am a Eddie Jobson freak.

There are not many keyboardists that keep my attention,

but Jobson takes the cake...along w/ my newest favorite, Jordan Rudess.

Yup, you are right! But I already covered that I love EVERYTHING that da Bruf touched. UK was a definate favorite, even the second album. That's the only place I'd heard of Jobsen though, so I'll have to check out what you just mentioned.

I have a theory about Bruf and many that played with him. I would like to hear Jobson's playing style before UK to hear if Bruf altered his style like he did many others', like Tony Levin and so on. Some of the Bruf's quirky rhythmic styles are present in Danger Money, and it seems to me to be the Bruford influence, even though he is not present on that one. One of Bruf's neat tricks is to play a riff then to repeat the riff with an extra beat or three and alternate...that's a very cool effect. Sure beats 4/4!

Looks like he'll finally have a web page! http://www.eddiejobson.com/

Bruford is also one of my favorites, and the UK album he played on has got some really great material on it. I have an live version(CD) featuring Bozzio instead of Bruford, which is good too, but I think I prefer Bill B's style for UK. Just as his earlier work with YES, he seems to sort of rivet or stitch phrases together with such certainty. I love the clear and melodic sound of his toms on the UK album!

Contemporary with UK back in 'those days' was of course another band I know you are both familiar with -- Brand X. People who only know of Phil Collins from his much later solo albums are often not aware of the fact that he is a really fantastic drummer, with blistering speed and fluidity. My brother saw Brand X at a club in Illinois, but I've only seen Collins, along with Chester Thompson, with Genesis -- for whom Mr. Bruford also played for after the departure of Peter Gabriel.

...and Jobson is awesome!

Ok, how about this one: Does the band 'CAMEL' ring a bell for either of you?2.gif

AndyKubicki :

Andy, Jobson came from the infamous ROXY MUSIC band. Ever heard of them ?

ERIK:

Camel ???....of course, I have heard of them. As you probably know by now, I came from the

intensely progressive melodic-music era. I , being a drummer, could never settle for simple

"straight-forward" structured music. Music always seemed to have to have a twist to it rhythmically,

to keep my attention.

One of my ALL-TIME favorite fusion bands was definitely Brand X. I wish that everyone who

hasn't a clue about Phil Collins deep and intense jazz-drumming past, could research and hear him

in this jazz fusion band Brand X !!!!! My favorite album being Unorthodox Behavior !

~Thanx for bringing that bands name up.~

9.gif

Erik:

I forgot to mention that the LIVE UK cd, you mentioned, was their

third and last released cd, titled Night After Night.

This live cd is a intense representation of Bozzio's interpretion of the drum patterns

that Bruford played, from their debut cd, ...which also included

Allen Holdsworth on guitar.

Allen was only on the first cd so Eddie Jobson played the simulated

guitar sounds there-after on his electric Violin live

and in the studio, on their Danger Money cd .

...here is a picture of ANOTHER special CUSTOM-PAINTED set that

I own and keep on display in my "palace" entry-way !

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=34953&

It was custom-painted by John Douglas, the master-drum painter for all the pro's in the world.

http://www.johndouglas.com/

You may have seen some other sets on MTV.

Some of his other clients are:

Z.Z.Top

CREED

Kid Rock

Chad Smith -Red Hot Chili Peppers

Alex Van Halen

Seven Dust

Pantera

Bon Jovi

Bobby Rock

Lynard Skynard

Guns and Roses

Extreme

... and of course, Craig LeMay

Actual this custom-painted set was the one used on the recording of my Big Left Turn cd.

If anyone on the Klipsch Forum would like a free cd, i would gladly send one to ya,

if ya just pay for the shipping.

Just Paypal me $3.50 @ born2rock@pdq.net and I will gladly

send anyone a $10 cd for FREE !!!

My way of sharing with all my Forum friends.

ANYONE interested ?

post-15746-13819261350964_thumb.jpg

Born2RockU,

I might take you up on your offer for the free CD, sounds like a sweet deal. I want to hear what your playing sounds like, I bet it is amazing. Also, it will give me an idea of what kind of talent I should expect when I decide to call upon you to give me some lessons. I want to sound like Tony Macalpine within a years time.

Born2RockU,

I might take you up on your offer for the free CD, sounds like a sweet deal. I want to hear what your playing sounds like, I bet it is amazing. Also, it will give me an idea of what kind of talent I should expect when I decide to call upon you to give me some lessons. I want to sound like Tony Macalpine within a years time.

----------------

On 1/28/2005 9:03:16 PM AndyKubicki wrote:

Boomac, those look like KG4s with your drums,,, BTW, is that the original set Cubby played?
9.gif

----------------

FYI: At 16, former Mouseketeer Cubby O'Brien went on the road with the Spike Jones Band. He then became a personal drummer for Ann-Margret, Olivia Newton John, Debbie Reynolds, Juliet Prowse, Diana Ross, Joel Grey, Bernadete Peters, Lena Horne, Andy Williams, and Shirley MacLaine, among other big names. He later went on to play drums for the Carpenters. His dad, Hack Jones was a drum teacher I think.

The article, (written in 1997) goes on to say Cubby has two special goals. 1. To play for Bette Midler and 2. To find his old drums.

Could this be his lost set? Nah, I think he had real drums on the show. Again, the speakers are Quartets.

MMD2.jpg

Well Erik, you know I feel the same as you about Bruf. He has a very unique style. I don't enjoy Yes as much without him. I'll have to check out more of Brand X. I have only one LP by them and it's not sticking in my memory. Sometimes it takes a few plays to start registering. Collins is a class act. I have a drummer who lives on my street and he told me that Phil was asked to participate in a tribute to Buddy Rich and phil was reluctant because he felt he was not good enough. I think he said Phil was eventually persuaded to do this and did quite well. I have yet to get the GEnesis LP where da Bruf plays. Camel rings a bell for me but only because I heard about them recently and bought Echoes, a 2 CD set of material from various LPs and I like that very much.

Craig, I heard of Roxy Music but never in depth and I had no idea Jobson played with them. This will require a closer look, thanks for this tip! You also mentioned Holdsworth, and he definately added a dimension to any album he played on, UK, Bruford (with Jeff Berlin), Jean Luc-Ponte, and so on...each of the albums with these guys and Holdworth just went into hyper drive! I recently heard Ponte play a piece off the Holdsworth -era album and it was SO missing the guitar of Holdsworth...

This will be my next Holdworth purchase: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jensjoh2

BTW, Craig, are you familiar with CDBaby.com? First of all, I love their samples! They are long enough to really get the idea of a tune...not a 30 second sample that may or may not give you the idea of the piece. It's a great place to check out music AND to distribute your music. You pay $35 per CD and they set up a page like the one above and sell the CDs for you. You set the price, they keep $4.00 per CD regardless of your price. You still need to market your music.

BTW, since this is all 2 channel music, we are on topic here right? 9.gif

Here's another interesting rhythmic composer...ever hear of Don Ellis? He and Brubeck were the pioneers in non 4/4 jazz. What's funny is the rejection by the rest of the mainstream jazz world to the idea of non 4/4 rhythms. They said that if it's not 4/4, it can't swing. Well, needless to say, Ellis and Brubeck proved them wrong! Ellis really got into the odd rhythms and because at that time there were not many who could play in those time sigs, he had three drummer and three bass players, in case one got sick!

AndyKubicki :

Great idea about CDBaby.com , I will look into that as another avenue to sell.

ANYBODY and Andy :

Here is another band to flash back to. Anyone heard of Crack the Sky ????

No. But if they are into 5(or more)/4 or better yet polyrhythms, I'm interested. 9.gif

BTW, just got this from www.artist-shop.com :

Before we get into the newsletter, I want to make special mention of the

Camel Productions catalog . Currently

Andy Latimer and Camel Productions is based in California. However, Andy is

planning on relocating back to his native England. This will have certain

advantages for the band on the recording and touring front, so likely fans

of the band will see more activities in these areas. The one drawback is

that with Camel Productions based in the UK, then due to the current

exchange rate and high overseas shipping costs, prices on the catalog may

have to go up. So if any of you were thinking of buying anything from the

Camel Productions catalog, you might want to do so now before the relocation

happens.

Camel/Camel ....CD $13.99

Camel/Coming of Age ....double CD $22.99

Camel/Dust and Dreams ....CD $13.99

Camel/Gods of Light Live 73-75 ....CD $11.99

Camel/Harbour of Tears ....CD $13.99

Camel/Never Let Go ....double CD $22.99

Camel/A Nod and a Wink ....CD $13.99

Camel/On the Road 1972 ....CD $10.99

Camel/On the Road 1981 ....CD $12.99

Camel/The Paris Collection (2000) ....CD $12.99

Camel/Rajaz ....CD $13.99

Camel/Stationary Traveller ....CD $14.99

Camel/Camel Footage ....DVD $19.99

Camel/Coming of Age ....DVD (NTSC format) $22.99

Camel/Coming of Age ....VHS (NTSC format) $25.99

Camel/Coming of Age ....VHS (PAL format) $25.99

Camel/Curriculum Vitae ....DVD-NTSC $23.99

Camel/Pressure Points ....DVD $19.99

It's funny we were talking about these guys and I got the newsletter about Camel with this in the second part:

Coming soon from Magna Carta

Terry Bozzio/Prime Cuts ....CD $14.99

Terry Bozzio is recognized as one of the world's premier drummers. His

career has been spent working with some of the most respected names in the

music business. From Frank Zappa to Jeff Beck to Tony Levin, Terry has built

a body of recorded work that is unparalleled. Terry Bozzio has been awarded

the highest respect by fans and fellow musicians because of his amazing

abilities as well as his musical integrity. This compilation also features a

brand new solo track and a previously unreleased track. Bonus Video: 15

minute Interview with Terry Bozzio included as Computer Interactive Section

of this CD, discussing his start as a drummer, his audition with Frank Zappa

and beyond.

Terry Bozzio's new release Prime Cuts

is a "greatest recordings" of his career, type of cd.

This would be the perfect cd for your collection if you haven't owned

all of his releases from these past 20 years

http://www.terrybozzio.com/