Do the wires for Speakers have to be the same lenth

Cammanvideo

----------------

On 1/31/2005 2:28:32 AM Cammanvideo wrote:

Thank You all for your kind wisdom, it all worked out in the wash.

Great advice here and I learned a few things too.

Thanks All of you.

Cammanvideo

----------------

From me you're welcome.

I hope that you don't think tat you started a flame. If you read all of the posts from all of the Members, you see a consensus with Physics and math added.

I respect Al K. and Dr. Who for all of their knowledge plus the fact that they take the time to answer questions thoughtfully. Rather than ignore New Members or keep their expertise to themselves.

A plus in the talent bank, but more of a plus for giving their time.

I hope that if you have any more questions, you will post them.

dodger

This is why we need a FAQ section. The issue comes up every six months. The answer is that the velocity of electricy in wire is so fast that uneven lengths don't make any appreciable difference. The velocity of sound in air is so much slower, as well described above.

I looked back at Nelson Pass's analysis of wire. You can find it on his website. It seems to me he chickened out at the end, a little bit, and gave some credance to the subjective side.

The capacitance and inductance is another red herring. The numbers for wires can be cranked. However, no one is looking at the load end.

I'll have to crank some numbers for publication. Basically, a K-Horn impedance at some frequencies is equivalent to inductors and caps which are very large. Hundreds of mH and hundreds of uF. Even worst case wire situations are far less.

The bottom line is that wire reactance due to L and C are very negligable in the big picture.

Gil

----------------

On 1/30/2005 4:38:19 AM DrWho wrote:

Ok no. Electricity travels close to the speed of light 300,000,000 m/s whereas sound travels a measly 300 m/s. This is why we can see lightning before we hear it. The timing correction on the reciever is to compensate for the extra distance the SOUND must travel (not the electricity). Let's plug out the numbers:

----------------

Please note that electrivity does NOT travel at the speed of light in wire. It travels at something like 1/3 the speed of light. See

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy99/phy99473.htm

Although 1/3 of the speed of light is still extremely fast and the difference is irrelevant when it comes to any effects the length of the wire might have in a real world situation in one's home, it is still important to be aware of this fact.

After all, we spend a lot of time splitting hairs on this forum. We just need to use accurate numbers when we split those hairs.

----------------

On 1/31/2005 7:14:25 AM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

This is why we need a FAQ section. The issue comes up every six months. The answer is that the velocity of electricy in wire is so fast that uneven lengths don't make any appreciable difference. The velocity of sound in air is so much slower, as well described above.

I looked back at Nelson Pass's analysis of wire. You can find it on his website. It seems to me he chickened out at the end, a little bit, and gave some credance to the subjective side.

The capacitance and inductance is another red herring. The numbers for wires can be cranked. However, no one is looking at the load end.

I'll have to crank some numbers for publication. Basically, a K-Horn impedance at some frequencies is equivalent to inductors and caps which are very large. Hundreds of mH and hundreds of uF. Even worst case wire situations are far less.

The bottom line is that wire reactance due to L and C are very negligable in the big picture.

Gil

----------------

Greetings:

I agree that a FAQ Section would be very helpful. ColterPhoto1 is working on one for Cornwalls, I believe.

I tried about two weeks ago with some questions with room for differing opinion by describing the answers. That received about 4 Posts after two bumps up.

It looks like it will wind up being individuals that put it together, if it gets done.

You, Al K., Dr. Who, Dean - a number of people get lend sections due to their experience. Mentioning those people does not mean I do not think anyone is capable of adding.

We would need a Section for people to click on.

dodger

The consideration is that the wires and voice coils impedance both present an equal load to the amp.

For instance, do you run different speaker TYPES in stereo? No (hopefully).

Why not? well, they don't match acoustically or electrically. Plain english, it doesn't sound good, equally balanced and/or "matched" together.

The length of wire, its metalugical makeup, and its diameter is directly related to the resistance it presents to current flow. That's why wire fuses work (even in the signal path).

Equal lengths of wire keep things balanced at the amp with each output channel "seeing" virtually the same load in as much as is possible.

DM2.gif