khorn kickplate and risers

yaffstone

Style B has always had the 'riser' or "collar" between the bass horn and the mid/tweet section. Look at:

http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Klipsch/Klipsch.htm

The first article has a picture from 1951 showing a style B. It has a riser and a narrow kickplate. I think the kickplate grew over the years, as a glance at the pictures from later in the 50s shows.

The picture from 1951 is a personal favorite since it shows the cats enjoying the warmth coming off the receiver (a Pilot?). My old cat used to spend hours on top of my Pioneer SX-1250 which was a real 'stove'.

For a time the C style Khorn cabinet did not come equipped with the kickplate. Many bass bins suffered damage to the bottom edge from veneer catching on carpet etc. when the horns were being moved around. I added kickplates to my 1982 Cs to cover that type of damage.

----------------

On 1/29/2005 11:13:11 AM yaffstone wrote:

I'm looking at the teak pair on audiogon. There's no kick plate and no riser. Will the top come off the bass bin for easier transport? I assume the differences are purely in the looks, is this correct given the same horns and crossovers?

----------------

My model C pair did not come with kickplates, and I've never added any. The top easily comes off with 2 wingnuts, and disconnecting the wire that goes to the bass bin from the crossover network.