Sound Level Meter....

Ghostkid

Okay, I know your supposed to calibrate your HT system to get the most out of it. I just have a few questions on SPL meters.

1. Digital vs. analog?

2. Any brands or sites to find one besied RAT SHACK?

3. Any advice and tips from what you've learned from yours?

Reason I'm asking is that I brought home some Klipsh's and a new Digital receiver and my wife didn't think the Klipsch's sounded better than the old ones, but she liked the new receiver, she didn't like the money I spent to be honest, but I wnat to blow her away this next time. I've just got a receiver, and I'm dying to get some Klipsch's.

I'd suggest the rat shack analog meter as well. Heck, I've seen several equipment manuacturers reccomend it.

Don't really have any tips for the initial setup, not much to it. If you move anything around in the room afterwards though, recalibrate your equipment. I found it suprising how much affect room furnishings can have on this. Moved some cd racks & an end table, found everything was off a DB or two.

----------------

On 1/31/2005 10:15:19 AM ct1615 wrote:

I bought the radio shack analog model and it was useless. I just trusted my personal taste and returned the unit. I didn't feel like spending $50 for the digital sound level meter. Doesn't Pioneer have receivers now that come with sound meters?

----------------

I was wondering the same thing. Do the auto calibrating receivers do a good enough job to where you don't have to buy a after market SPL? Has anyone tried the receiver settings against the RS SPL meter? What was results? Just curious.

analog version was 'closed out' a few months ago. If you can find one, it'll be on sale! Otherwise, just get the digital version. THere is a low frequency adjustment chart available on the internet for frequencies below about 100Hz, I beleive. You may find a link to it here. Otherwise, try the SEARCH function.

Michael

CECAA850 stated:

"Harman Kardon has E-Z Set auto calibration. Some people think it works great but I got much better results with a meter and calibration disc".

THANK YOU, I have an H/K AVR430, and I could not agree more. With EZ Set it was "hit and miss", with the RS digital meter it was consistent and balanced every time.

Popbumper

Definition of useless; I set the sound meter up as stated in the instruction booklet(at my listening position). A ran a loud test signal through each speaker but the needle barely moved. I tried it on every setting, the needle only moved on one setting. I finally just tossed the instructions, and walked up to each speaker and stuck the meter in front of it. At the end of the test, the speakers where already at the right setting. Maybe I just have good ears! 9.gif

----------------

On 1/31/2005 4:56:18 PM ct1615 wrote:

Definition of useless; I set the sound meter up as stated in the instruction booklet(at my listening position). A ran a loud test signal through each speaker but the needle barely moved. I tried it on every setting, the needle only moved on one setting. I finally just tossed the instructions, and walked up to each speaker and stuck the meter in front of it. At the end of the test, the speakers where already at the right setting. Maybe I just have good ears!
9.gif

----------------

The needle is only supposed to move on one setting!

The different settings set the meter so that when the needle is pointing straight up the SPL corresponds to the number of the setting. So if you're listening to a tone at 90dB, you'll have to have the meter at 90 on the dial and the needle should stick straight up. When the needle moves to the right or left, you need to read the marking behind the needle and then add or subtract that number from the number of your setting.

So if you're listening at a 95dB tone, on the 90dB setting, then your needle will be 5dB to the right. If you have it on the 100dB setting, then your needle will be 5dB to the left.