upscaling DVD player - anybody here use one?

Shade

I'm in the market for a new DVD player, and interested in the new upscaling players. SACD/DVD-A playback would be nice, but not really a necessity.

Most reviews tend to criticize one thing or another on all these players.

Just wondering if anyone here is using one they would reccomend.

I have a Pioneer Elite 59AVi which upscales to 1080i, as well as playing SACD/DVD-A. Still, my Denon DVD-3800 has the superior picture with it's "mere" 480p progressive. In my opinion, a solid progressive scan player that gets all the nitty gritty details right will outperform any upscaling DVD player currently out on the market.

An outboard upscaler, however, would be a different story.

I recently purchased an Oppo DV971V for $200. It performs on par with players costing several times as much, has excellent build quality and very strong customer service. I did a side by side comparison with a Marantz DV9500 (using an HDMI to DVI adaptor) with a MSRP of $2200 and a street price of about $1600. At 720p or 1080i the Oppo's PQ is every bit as good as the Marantz. Both run circles arond my previous Denon 2900's.

There are some units available but they all output the upconverted signal out of the HDMI jacks and not the component jacks. Check the spec sheets to make sure you can connect to your tv as only the very latest HDTV's have the HDMI jacks and a 6 ft cable costs $110.00 at present.

JJK

Connections aren't really a problem, my Samsung has DVI, HDMI, component, etc. Sounds like maybe a regular progressive player would be the way to go though...

Anyone know how far you can run component cables without much loss in the picture quality? My rooms about 23ft long, with the equipment on the opposite wall from the TV.

j-malotky :

You mentioned you were using HTPC. This is actually what I've been doing more or less with the TV as a 2nd monitor connected via DVI. I just can't seem to get 1:1 pixel mapping, and my player of choice (VLC) seems to have some problems with DTS. How would you compare the picture quality from your PC against a DVD player using component cables?

I have had to upscaling dvd players and will never go back. I have had some of the best rated players like the pana'a. None would compete. If you have a big tv then this is a must. My father has a 36 wega and it is hard to tell the differnce between the two.

Remember you have to recalabrate the tv for the new dvd player.

Right now I have the zeinth machine, got one before they disabled the comp. upscaling. It does have a little green crush to the picture but I compensated that in my tv.

People that have not seen the differnce either don't have a tv that is big enough or calibrated correctly to see the differnce.

It took me three weeks to get my tv setup right.

It is not HD quility but close, and way better than progressive scan picture.

----------------

On 2/3/2005 8:09:41 PM Shade wrote:

Connections aren't really a problem, my Samsung has DVI, HDMI, component, etc. Sounds like maybe a regular progressive player would be the way to go though...

Anyone know how far you can run component cables without much loss in the picture quality? My rooms about 23ft long, with the equipment on the opposite wall from the TV.

j-malotky :

You mentioned you were using HTPC. This is actually what I've been doing more or less with the TV as a 2nd monitor connected via DVI. I just can't seem to get 1:1 pixel mapping, and my player of choice (VLC) seems to have some problems with DTS. How would you compare the picture quality from your PC against a DVD player using component cables?

----------------

I'd take the PC's PQ over the DVD player any day, as long as the video card is up to the task.

23 feet is a long run for component cables. If you can get a high-quality HDMI or DVI-D cable to do the job for you, you'd be better off in the long run.

One thing you can guarantee, a PC with a high-quality video card will deliver a much better signal quality than any DVD player, regardless of connection.

Shade Let me add more to what Griff states and answer your question for settings. The PC adds much more post prosessing power than any DVD player, upscaling or not.

What I do is have my Vid card output match the native mode of my projector so my projector does not have to do any up or downscaling of my data. I am using a DVI-D cable in between my PC and projector. I am using the TheaterTek DVD software package which uses the Nvidia native post processor. I then added FDDshow as my secondary post processor. The post processors do the line doubleing and scaling to create an unbelievable HD picture. Even fast forwarding 8x, every frame is crystal clear, almost too much to watch at that speed.

I only have about $700 in my brand new HTPC so they are VERY affordable. You just need to be computer savey as there is a lot of work getting all the software working together.

JM

Granted, an HTPC is the most powerful available solution because of the scaling and filtering it can provide but, if you are able to get through the very long thread (114 pages and counting) of the AVLP2 I mentioned above, you'll see that it provides a low-cost turnkey (and high WAF) alternative. Furthermore, by using the advanced server software on a machine of your LAN, it can transcode any video stream the PC is able to display locally, also applying any filtering (such as ffdshow) configured on the PC machine.

Again, to take advantage of the full power of the AVLP2, you must have a home LAN (although it does quite well as a standalone player). BTW, the latest firmware update added internet radio support.

Since I keep a computer in my livingroom anyway (games, internet, etc.) Griff's & j-malotky's posts suggest I would be better off improving the software end of my DVD playback. My computer is an Athlon XP 2800+ with 1 GB of mem, an M-Audio revolution 7.1 sound card, & a ATI 9800XT video card. I think I'm pretty set for the hardware end of it. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

j-malotky : Did you need to use powerstrip to match your projector's resolution? I'm pretty good with computers, but couldn't seem to get anywhere with powerstrip.

From looking at the Theatertek website, the software looks pretty nice. It mentions custom resolutions. Does this allow you to match your projector's resolution, without having to use software such as powerstrip?

epsilon : The AVLP2 unit you mentioned looks pretty interesting. I've already got a PC in the living room though, so I think I'll try working with it some more first. Might be able to save a few bucks.

My HTPC hardware is an ASUS P5P800 MotherB. Intel P4 3G Prescott CPU. 1 gig RAM. ATI Radion 9550. M-Audio Audiophile 2496.

I did most of my reaserch on the AVSForum when I built my PC.

I use the Audiophile for two reasons, First I have a Lexicon HT processor so I am just using SPDIF passthru for HT. I plan to do high definition audio soon for CD playback and that card is "the one" for that.

I tried powerstrip without any luck. My projector is 2 1/2 years old and some what limited on resolutions via DVI-D input, so most powerstrip changes gave me a blank display 7.gif This is why I ended up running native XGA into my projector. My screen is a 16 x 9 so "pan and scan" is what I needed for 4:3 movies. Theatertek does this extremely well. You can do custom aspect ratios, but all the standards are already in the menu.

I did try PowerDVD, WinDVD and Zoomplayer also. On my system TheaterTek had the best picture out of the box, plus has the ability to plug in post processors. Power and WinDVD will not let you post process. Zoom is an amazing DVD platform, it will let you snap in anything, and give you more granular control, but is very complicated and does not include any DVD decoders, so you still need to purchace a codec.

What is also cool is I have my PC setup so I do not have to pick up the keyboard. I can do everything including shutting down the PC thru the remote control.

If you go this route, be prepaired for hours of tweeking, but the rewards for the effort are well worth the time investment. Then again, when are we not tweeking something in our systems1.gif

JM

jm,

Thanks for the specs. That's a pretty powerful system. In your research, did you find that you need that much horsepower for DVD playback? Or did you have a more multi-purpose solution in mind (games, internet surfing, etc.)? How is it for noise? Is it in another room?

There are a zillion threads on HTPC over at the AVSForum. Were there a few you could point us to that you found particularly useful?

Sorry for all the questions, but I value your opinion much more than most of the byteheads over at AVSForum...2.gif

Thanks in advance.