building in speakers in a theater

bkcleve

I never thought to ask this question before but several of you i am sure can handle this one. I am considering one of two systems. One for consideration is the RF-35 5.1 system brand new. The other is a pre-owned system. Four RF-7's, an RC-7 and an RSW-15. Am building a wall (face) to build in the TV, and the speakers. (including the sub) The sub will be in the bottom of one of the two flanking 30" wide bookshelves 24" deep. The TV and speakers were planned to go behind the flush face plate. Will this work effectively? Can also inclosed the spaces allocated for the speakers rather than leaving them open to the chase behind the face. Since the speakers take up some real estate wanted to maximize the space. Want them to sound exquisite so any advice is appreiated.

Hi, the choice on speakers is in your hands. Have you auditioned the RB-75's? > more bookshelve friendly.

Hiding the mains and sub, in an enclosure leaves only a narrow window, as far as placement(THE most effective tweek) goes. The LF's could also cause vibrations to rattle the whole kit-n-caboodle and everything contained within,especially a 15". Maybe the sub could sit directly on the floor, as opposed to a low shelf?

Speaking on exquisite, the mentioned speakers are very nice looking on their own.

Any plan "B"? 16.gif

----------------

On 2/3/2005 10:27:16 AM ygmn wrote:

The RF7 will sound so much better then the RF35 IMO...not a choice....but to get the RF7...

Why build the speakers in if they look good standing next to screen in all their glory....

----------------

I guess some may not like the look of the RF series 6.gif But spending

upwards of $2,500 I want them to be seen as well as heard.3.gif

HI...

Just a serious thought about the Reference 7's in your application, sub in the book case...

**************** DON'T ***************************

The ports are on the back of the 7's, and need to be out from the wall.

The sub also is a rear firing speaker with a passive speaker in the front. Putting these speakers somehow in a cabinet will simply not work.

You need a front firing system if your "book-casing" it.

Been there and done it with the front firing versions as mentioned earlier. RB 75's LCR across the front and also RW 12 in the wall. Mine left to right about 12 feet apart and each has its own cabinet in the wall. Don't know if it is the best sound, I'm still in the tweaking phase, but probably will leave as is untill the 3 kids get older. Don't want no 90 lb floorstanding speakers to fall on them and those subwoofer knobs are just to irresistable for toddlers.

I'd leave a big space for speakers if building new. It looks Incredible if done correctly.

What everyone else has said, especially Indy. WARNING do not put your speakers enclosed in boxes in your cabinetry. It will sound terribly 'tubby' even with front firing ports (RB35's).

$ wise you're much better off with the RF7's but they are rear firing. Just turn on a speaker and feel the cabinet. There are vibrations. If you trap those in another outer box (your cabinetry), it will resonate like nobody's business at a horrible frequency. I know, I did this with my bro a few years back. Built in cabinets for TV, components, and speakers. POSITIVELY DO NOT BUILD IN THE SUB!! Sounded horrible, but good WAF.

Do what Indy is doing. Leave speakers open to breath, but put them behind a 'scrim' or acoustically transparent curtain if they cannot be seen. Personally I consider Klipsches to be beautiful cabinetry.

Michael

If done correctly you can flush or soffit mount speakers in your wall with the only downfall being a bass boost of +6 dB, which some don't consider a downfall. Like I said it has to be researched and done correctly.

2 goals::: decouple the speaker from the wall which will muddy the sound. Build a beazel flush with the wall and the speaker within I think 5 mm of the speaker. That will not let the awfull cabinet vibes out, because 1/2 wavelengths of low and mid freqs are too long to escape.

Sorry for being short of specifics. There is proof it works.

Don't know if the Built in Entertainment system in question is up for detailed construction.

Good Luck