Silk Screening

topfueltom

If the prep work is done right, the newer lettering/silkscreening will be more durable than the old. The best is to have the faceplate etched and then overprinted.

Dylan,

I used to work for a printer, and had to fix art for folks all the time. It can be rewarding work. I am amazed at how many people use their original artwork and then never have it to go back to to work from.

Marvel

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dylanl,

There could be a significant income opportunity for you here. The Mac-o-philes would love to have access to a procedure to fix the bad lettering on thier amps. If you could acquire quality photos of pristine gear and offer the service you might well be able to make a small fortune. Also, the backs of the old glass Mac faceplates have troubles with the original coloring and lettering falling off. There could be good money in this. You would be the only vendor to a significant market, always a good place to be, allows for attractive pricing models. :) You could offer replacement glass already silkscreened for the most popular models. That way the customers wouldn't have to tear apart their amps to buy from you.

----------------

On 2/5/2005 1:01:57 PM Dylanl wrote:

Tom, I should do 1 so all could see the work and quality. I am somewhat new to audio at 2 yrs. and never knew that people had a need. I first thought of this for my Scott. Maybe I will make an offer to all on the 2 channel forum.

----------------

I for one will offer my services (faceplate) so that all may benefit! 9.gif OK,OK, for my benefit.11.gif All kidding aside I'll ship you my C-20 faceplate for the trial. And I would expect to pay for your trouble also. What say you Dylan1? Randy

Sounds like you really know your biz Dylanl! I'd let your print for me any day! It's amazing what can be done when you marry old fashioned printing technology with modern computers. So this would an actual screen print made from a photo-etched plate repaired in photoshop or other program. Simply fascinating! Would love to see photos of the process just for interest.

Michael

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Long time no see. Sorry to say that my computer crashed and burned and I lost everyones email and all. Just didn't try to get it all together until recently.

I haven't seen or heard from Dylanl for quite some time and don't know how to get in touch with him. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it,,,,and what is this with maxg and a soldering iron? Randy

Randy, I am still here sometimes. I emailed you numerous times over the last year about the faceplate but never heard back form you. In a clean out effort at the printing plant your faceplate was lost. I am sorry. I would still gladly screen print you another if you can get your hands on another or a blank faceplate.

Dylan

Randy, I am sorry but I also changed computers twice and lost your email since our last communication 1 yr and 5 months ago. I did however email you before the 1st computer change even though you feel I didn't. When I didn't hear from you I put it in a corner. Since the plant was not mine one of the employees must have discarded it. To make matters worse I saw it still in the corner in Feb 06 before the clean up. If you can get a peice of glass to size I will make it look exactly like the original.

If you would like to discuss further please email me at Artvandelay1@verizon.net

I made a error and would rather not discuss it on an open forum

Sorry again

Boy I don't know Dylan.... sounds a bit uuuhhhh, too easy? How do you propose silkscreening the new copy on? Do you have access to screen printing equipment? Man if you can fix McIntosh screen printing you will be a VERY sought after commodity.

I'd love to see how this comes

My quote from Feb 2005. Not quite was I was loving to see.

Randy, there are several reproduction glasses for the C20 being made. If you scout around on the net and Ebay you might find the right one. There were several different versions just to complicate things.

If you contact McIntosh they do periodically make new glass plates for their amps and tuners. They aren't cheap, but it is a time consuming process, I saw them doing it during the AudioKarma tour last August. They are identical to the originals and packed well when shipped, as are all McIntosh products. Below is the phone # for service at the plant in Binghampton, N.Y. and email addresses for parts and service.

Phone: 607-723-3515 (or 800-538-6576)
Fax: 607-723-1917
Parts E-mail: bscott@mcintoshlabs.com
Parts E-mail: gsteere@mcintoshlabs.com
Service E-Mail: sbutt@mcintoshlabs.com