Linear Turntables?

JJkizak

They were very expensive by contrast with other good turntables, and to my knowledge, only Pioneer and B&O made them. Somebody else made a vertical format table that vanished pretty quickly. I think Radio Shack also sold a rebranded Pioneer. The higher cost and the lack of audible difference (to most folks) made them the perfect solution to a non-problem. Garrard marketed a TT with a pivoting cart shell (the X-100 I think) that was said to achieve the same degree of tracking accuracy, but improved cassettes pretty much sealed the doom of mass-market vinyl before CDs came along.

My 20 year old Sony turntable, the PS-LX510, is a linear tracker. A pretty cheap variant of the breed, though. But, it still works well, after all these years, and it is pretty much immune to skating problems and inner-groove distortions, at least as far as my tin ears can tell.

I had two different linear tracking turntables both from Harmon Kardon, one was the Rabco ST-7 and the other an ST-8, the only problem I ever experienced with them was the need to adjust the tracking of the arm quite often so that it did not lag or lead the grooves. the supposed benefit was that you were tracking the grooves always at a parallel angle, reading in the same way as the lathe head was cutting. made sense to me, the swing of the tone arm always means that except for obne point in its swing it is not tracking thwe groove as it was cut...

there were really two genres, a low end grouping (like those mentioned above) and high-end attempt (like the H/K and newer versions from clearaudio, etc.)

one sits in a closet now and the other my father uses...nice looking high-end pieces these were in the late 70´s...regards, tony