Something wonderful is about to happen

pauln

About a year ago I gave my parents a little CD player/amp thing and a pair of shoebox size speakers with 3 inch "woofers". On a recent visit I noticed they had been buying CDs like teenagers (well, not really like teenagers as teens download everything, but you know what I mean), and that they really liked listening to the system. My father played trumpet, trombone, and piano, and my mother played violin. They have always enjoyed music and I was surprised by their enthusiasm.

Well, on my last visit I surprised them by bringing my Heresys, a mint in-the-box Sansui 6500 (1974) I found and bought from a Russian in Canada, and a Sony CD player that holds 5 CDs. I set it all up and as Patsy Cline began to sing they both reacted even more than I had hoped. Within the first seconds Mom immediately said, Im hearing things I havent heard before, and Dad said That sounds like a real bass!.

If anyone had asked me under what conditions I would part with my Heresys I would have answered None, so I needed a really good reason Ive ordered a pair of brand spanking new La Scalas. Yes, I could have sold the Hs as they have been given the boiled linseed oil treatment on their walnut every 6 months for the last 30 years and are nick and scratch free, deeply and beautifully figured, etc. Yes, I could have found some used LS in the Houston area, but I feel like I am doing the right thing by Klisch, since they have given me so much happiness in the last 30 years - sort of a support the team sense about it. So for the next two months I dont have any speakers its a little rough on me Ive been doing a lot of reading..

The other evening I was getting a book down to read and my left monoblock of my Wright 3.5's ask me, "How come you haven't played us for a while?". The right channel amp immediately added, "Yeah, and I wasn't going to bring it up, but well; what happened to the Heresys?".

Well, I had a little sit down with my gear to discuss this and reassure them that its OK. I told them, The Heresys have served me well for 30 years and now they have gone to a better place where they can play gently for some very nice folks in the country from now on. I have some new La Scalas on the way.

Are they hard to drive?, the monos asked almost simultaneously.

Oh no, I answered. They will be very easy for you to drive, they are about eight times more sensitive and they have horns all the way up and down!

You have always preferred our 9 ohm* taps for the Heresys. What will we use with the La Scalas?, they asked.

*(The nominal 8 ohm tap on the Magnequest is actually 9 ohm based on their website specs)

We will just have to hear whats best, eh?, I replied.

Well after this they felt really excited with anticipation. They wanted to know which record would the first one I played (their favorite is my Saint Saens Cello Concerto in D import recorded in Russia).

Up to this point, the Wright preamp had not joined into the discussion, but now it asked, Why have you moved us into Paul Hall? (ed., Paul Hall is our name for the big 500+ sq ft room into which I will place the coming LS.)

Because something is about to happen. Something wonderful!, I said.

----------------

On 2/5/2005 5:16:19 PM pauln wrote:

Well after this they felt really excited with anticipation. They wanted to know which record would the first one I played (their favorite is my Saint Saens Cello Concerto in D import recorded in Russia).

Up to this point, the Wright preamp had not joined into the discussion, but now it asked, Why have you moved us into Paul Hall? (ed., Paul Hall is our name for the big 500+ sq ft room into which I will place the coming LS.)

Because something is about to happen. Something wonderful!, I said.

----------------

Based on the conversation you've been having with your speakers, it sounds like you should play something by Gyorgy Ligeti first.

seriously, very cool thing you did for your parents!

Woo

----------------

On 2/5/2005 6:34:03 PM Woodog wrote:

Based on the conversation you've been having with your speakers, it sounds like you should play something by Gyorgy Ligeti first.

seriously, very cool thing you did for your parents!

Woo

----------------

Yes, Yes, play something by Gyorgy Lynchy first on them.

pauln,

Try the 4 Ohm tap.

Nice story about your parents. I gave my last Akai tape deck to my father for similar reasons. He used it to record opera from the old Texaco series. Comming from you the Hereseys have twice the value for your parents.

Leo

The Wright preamp is a transition version between the old WPL10 and the later WLP10, and before the current WPL11. All have the outboard tube power supply. The original WPL10 had two chicken head volume controls, later they changed to a chicken head volume and a chicken head balance. In the WPL11 the chicken heads changed to cylindrical knobs (vol and bal). The one I have is a later version of the WPL10 with volume and shunt balance functionality in the two chicken head controls, but the case is marked for a pair of volume controls. This was confusing for about one minute!

Paul

----------------

On 2/5/2005 7:23:46 PM pauln wrote:

Neither I nor any of my equipment are familiar with Gyorgy Lynchy, but I have all of the Tangerine Dream albums on vinyl. Is he like that?

----------------

Gyorgy Ligetti composed the Monolith 'music' in the movie 2001. His approach to composition was to treat music as sound masses which collide and interact.

Some of Tangerine Dream is a lot like that.

Forrest

----------------

On 2/7/2005 5:18:16 PM Woodog wrote:

----------------

Neither I nor any of my equipment are familiar with Gyorgy Lynchy, but I have all of the Tangerine Dream albums on vinyl. Is he like that?

----------------

Gyorgy Ligetti composed the Monolith 'music' in the movie 2001. His approach to composition was to treat music as sound masses which collide and interact.

Forrest

----------------

I thought the music was "Otto Sprach Zarathustra" by Strauss - same music that they launched the Apollo missions to.

Whatever the case I suggest that you play that on your system first - to calm it down. Otherwise hide a small bomb in the wiring somewhere and use a pocket calculator as the detonator.

Oh yes - and all these worlds are yours but stay the hell off Europa!

Pauln congrats on the new La Scalas!! I have had my 2004 LS since March of last year and they sound great!! If my living room was the same size as yours I would have ordered a 3rd one for the center channel. Before My LS I had a pair of KLF 20s that had the midrange horn right at ear level and the high horn just above my ears that sounded very good no matter how loud I played them. With the LS the first thing I realized was with the midrange horn at my chest level and tweeter horn at my chin level the LS were very bright. So I made some 7 inch speaker risers for them and on each speaker placed 2 70 pound bags of sand. Now the sound is so much better since the mid horn is ear level now with the tweeter just above the ears. Since getting the LS I have found that my music taste is evolving from mainly rock to jazz, classical, to big band(if you have a dvd player then try Gordon Goodwin's DVD Audio discs Big Phat Band, Swingin For The Fences and XXL are 2 of the best recorded DVD Audio discs I have heard, try them you'll like em!!). Well I know you will enjoy them cause I have enjoyed mine.

xman I

----------------

On 2/7/2005 5:37:31 PM maxg wrote:

----------------

On 2/7/2005 5:18:16 PM Woodog wrote:

----------------

----------------

Forrest

----------------

I thought the music was "Otto Sprach Zarathustra" by Strauss - same music that they launched the Apollo missions to.

Whatever the case I suggest that you play that on your system first - to calm it down. Otherwise hide a small bomb in the wiring somewhere and use a pocket calculator as the detonator.

Oh yes - and all these worlds are yours but stay the hell off Europa!

----------------

nah... the 'music' that sounds like white noise at times. That's the Legitti. I'm hep to the Strauss.

Yeah, I know the feeling. My parents have my 74 KHorns and Scott 299D. I keep telling myself that one day I will buy a bigger house were they can reside. Current home is 2620 sq ft and only 6 years old. I think I may be kidding myself. I have RF5's in my HT and Cornwalls in my 2 channel. On the other hand, my parents love me. 9.gif