Hey fini! A console question?

I"t did have the Jenson speakers with the pea sized magnets, 3 channels, 15" woofer in the center. Maybe 7 tubes total on the amp plate, 3 small transformers and one large one. It did have a Motorola wiring schematic on it, but was too small and too dark to make out much of anything. I'm not familiar enough with tubes to even guess what it had in it. The left side had very little volume, don't know if it was an amp or speaker problem."

Good call, huh? 3.gif

The console ( or all in one?) I had used full-range speakers with whizzer cones. 8 inch, labeled Motorola "Golden Voice". To be honest, of all the cheap-assed console stereo FR speakers I've seen these have a reasonable sized magnet.

The slugs are as big as the Jensen's magnet on the 15 inch woofer. I've seen some really small magnets on quite a few vintage console speakers.

The little "Golden Voice" speakers sound like the typical cheap vintage ragged sound they all have, but not as bad as most. At a 94 Hz Fs, I guess a guy could put them on open-baffles and use a subwoofer, but then again there is better speaker offerings for open baffles...

I don't blame you for passing. I'm always on the hunt for 6BQ5's, and it had a quad of the same brand.

So I toke a gamble and did end up with a 4 good 6BQ5's. That doesn't always happen, and I would have been really bummed if they were dead. (Nuthin' like having more stuff you don't need...)

I left the woofer on the front porch for about two months in the snow and rain. It was eventually going to make it to the trash, but somebody toke it.

I'm thinking a kid who probably got depressed when he hooked it up, or maybe a guitar loon. If that's the case, then it will now need a recone and a voice coil.

At least it's gone....

CTBB if you're running a wanted ad you're gonna get a lot of console calls. I did! Ask a lot of questions to determine what the electronics are in the console. Name brands give away a lot. Magnavox, zenith, motorola and any of the other consoles sold in sears or similar department stores generally aren't worth looking at. Even if the console is MINT and working 100% it may not be worth bothering with.

Good luck with your ad! I had some great luck with mine a few years ago.

Another source for vintage tubes 'n' stuff: old organs from thrift stores. Talk about ending up with a lot of stuff you don't need! There's a Hammond M3 right now at a local shop. Ten bucks. It'll cost that in sawzall blades to knock it down.

I have heard a lot of consoles. They all sound ok.

IF he's looking for those kinds of amps then he's all set. He'll be able to buy as many as he wants I bet.

I was after things that had value and could be resold if I chose not to use it in my system.

What would a guy do with a bunch of consoles? Gut them out and build some DIY speakers powered by the electronics taken from the console? Maybe you could gut them out and offer the items on ebay?

There are the occassional consoles that have been fitted with the ultra desireable marantz and mac gear so consoles can't be written off altogether.

I bought an ancient "turntable in the drawer" Magnavox console at an auction for $30. Inside it had a Dual 1219, a McIntosh MR-75 tuner and a McIntosh 6100. Evidently no one else had thought to look inside...

I've got a Maganvox "Continental" in our basement. It was my dad's first stab at high fidelity. It's bi-amped (!) with a 15" woofer toting a 7 oz magnet and a Jensen horn. The bass amp uses 6L6s. It sounded pretty impressive "in the day." I'd still like to get it restored some day, but it's kind of a low priority just now.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, call number 2. Does anyone have an idea what kind of stuff I might find inside a Curtis Mathes Classic #12C? Has a tt and am/fm tuner, no tv or tape. Guy claims it's around 50 years old. I recall the brand being touted as quality back in the day, but haven't heard much about them as of late.

Thanks.

I raided some parts and the chassis from a Curtis Mathis console. AM/FM phono.

The console had been sitting outside for years, the iron was rusted, the console was rotted.

It was a 6BQ5 PP AM/FM receiver. All but one tube still test fine, even after sitting outside for some time.

The 6BQ5's were fine, all the 12AX7's (three?) even the cat's eye tube for the tuner was strong. A 12AU7 was fried, but it looked bunk from the start, no getter flash.

In fact, I'm using the 5U4 rectifier in my Magnavox PP.

Now store solid state outside for 4 or 5 years and see if you salvage anything from it. Another reason I like vacuum tubes.

As far as a special find? It's about on par with the Motorola....

Well, well, well.. Mr. Mike and I are apparently staring at the same consoles, once again, albeit yours in worse condition than mine. Without seeming like a complete idiot, which I'm sure I will, how do I ascertain what type amp is in one of these things? I surely doubt they are stamped "6BQ5 PP" on the side. 2.gif Do I just need to get a book with pictures of the most common tubes and do a comparison check when I look at the unit?

As to the Salvation Army, there isn't one in any towns near me, though there is a Goodwill about 35 miles away. Next time I'm in town I'll pop in and see what they have sitting around. Thanks for the scrounging tip.

6BQ5s are the same diameter as the 12AX7s, about 3/4". and a little taller again about 3/4". if it's PP there will be 4 of them if it is single ended, just 2. 6L6s are about 1 1/8" and 3" tall with the glass the same diameter as the base in most cases. 6V6s and 7591s are about 1" in diameter, 2 1/2" tall and most times the glass is smaller than the base. 7868s are 1" in diameter, 2 1/2" tall and have no plastic base.

Try searching ebay for those various types and look at the pics.

Rick

That's it, I need a book. 2.gif Sure I could look at pictures, but I promise you, once I get the back cover off and start trying to remember what tube was what size, they're all going to be the same size in my memory.

Does anyone have a link to some basic, common amp designs that would just show the top side from straight above and the tube compliment and locations? I realize that there probably isn't a standard for location, but if say a certain type amp HAS to have two of this tube, two of this tube, four of this tube, and they're USUALLY located in this topogrophy, that would help a lot. Bear with me, I'm learning, albeit slowly.

As always, see my sig.

Printed on the chassis, right next to each tube socket, should be the type of tube. You may have to blow off a healthy amount of dust to see it, but it's usually there. Also, there is usually a tube layout diagram stapled or glued onto the console back (or thereabouts).

fish_con_pre_top copy.jpg