I've done it!!!

dblue

Well, I've finally 'completed' my HT setup. I just ordered a Panasonic PT-50DL54 50" dlp tv. This baby is SWEET, I've been watching the hell out of it at my buddy's house. Great color, awesome contrast, and VERY nice blacks. ROTK looks phenominal on it, and due to it's 8 segment color wheel, rainbow effects are all but eliminated.

I'll be posting some pics of my new setup as soon as it arrives and I get it set up....Just had to share the news. My Klipsch speakers will finally be accompanied by a worthy display device.

BTW, got a SUPER deal from an authorized dealer. About $900 off the MSRP, 6 cents for shipping.

According to reviews, the viewing angle is over 100 degrees...but I'll report on that when I get it.

Yeah, I've heard the fan noise, my buddy has it...Didn't think it was too bad. There are other more significant sources of noise at my place..the Tivo being one. I think the Klipsch can topple it!

dblue: Congratulations, man! Having just finished my own theater back in October I know exactly how you feel right now! Now sit down and enjoy what all of your hard work has created! I am very happy for you. Can't wait to see those pictures! 2.gif

----------------

On 2/8/2005 10:22:29 AM dblue wrote:

Yeah, I've heard the fan noise, my buddy has it...Didn't think it was too bad. There are other more significant sources of noise at my place..the Tivo being one. I think the Klipsch can topple it!

----------------

I think the fan noise got louder when it got colder. When I first got the TV in September I did not hear a thing. Or I just did not pay attention to it at that time. I would recommend getting an OTA HDTV tuner. To me it looks better with the OTA HDTV vs Cable HDTV. LG 4200a can be had for under 200 and I am just using a cheap powered antenna.

Yeah, XBOX is unbelievable, PS2 and GC are also quite nice. Played some Halo 2 last night...in widescreen it splits down the middle. It was a load of fun.

I've watched a few movies so far, and it really draws you into the action. I'm very pleased with the TV.

Well, unfortunately the rainbow effect got to be too much for me on this TV, so I sold it to my friend ( who was going to buy it anyway )...:(

I decided on a Hitachi 51S715 CRT rptv...very good reviews..supposed to have one of the best pics in the business.

I'll post more pics when I get the new TV on Friday.

Wow, from over the top excited to hating it? "Rainbow effects" in some of the early models of DLP or cheaper DLP's did happen. Sorry it didn't work out!

And video games all day on DLP's, with no "burn in" issues/problems.

The next door neighbor is on his 3rd Mitsubishi TV in like 4 years. He loves the Mitsubishi line, and with cable, the lower right hand gets burned in with the logos.. Kids play video games on them, ruin them... Does not always watch it in stretched mode 95% of the time so burned in on the sides.... It is on from AM till night he claims. Just part of reality. (Especially successful person, new TV's do not bother him... I say it is a HUGE waste of money!!)

Be careful with the non DLP big HDTV's in letterbox frames. Salesmen do not explain this at all IMO. That's not to say upper level CRT's do not look fantastic. In non digital channels... it is especially true. (Better than DLP's.) Give me ESPN with the high end cameras in HD 1280x720 at 720P sports games rock!

Yeah, the dlp was one of the newer models with an 8 segment 10000 rpm color wheel...still saw rainbows (although no one else who came over did).

I bought it because of burn in issues. Looked great in bright scenes, but in dark scenes I saw rainbows, and really didn't like the way color and shading showed up ( in bands, just like all other digital TV's).

The CRT will look better overall, but yes, burn-in is an issue. I think it's a question of setting your contrast to a non-torch level. My friend has had a rp crt for 6 years, set it up properly with avia, plays videogames ALL day every day. No burn in problems for him.