Discreet LaScala bass grills aid in veneer and more!!

Justintime

Thought you guys might like to see my oiled oak veneered LaScalas. They were the old camera wrinkle finished black,(Pros)with the aluminum trim. Great for the stage but unacceptable for the home. With these grills, I was able to have them veneered to the back of the V and not have to deal with the dust-bunny hotel farther back, that is so hard to work in. They still have the pure LaScala look, yet are much more accectable to the women (classy) in the family.(provided top grills are installed also) They're made by King Restoration.

Justin

post-14788-13819261714224_thumb.jpg

OUCH, I've been looking for a pair of the Industrial fibreglass/aluminum trim for some time now. Although your guy did a nice job of restoration. I'm sure they're great in your home. Did you swap woofers? The industrial models have a 400 watt woofer that has even more trouble with very low frequencies than a standard LS. You might consider this if the LF is not up to expectations.

They are beautiful though.

Michael

Rick,

well I've got photog friends in Maine and I usually drive up to New England once a year although have only been as far as Cape Cod (17 hours from Indy). At $600, they'd look awful nice on my back porch, I have two acre yard and they would sound really nice on the volleyball court next summer. I'm seriously thinking about it. Why not? Heritage, collect em all, it's a set!

Michael

Thanks Michael, to answer your question, no I did not change the woofers out. They are k-43 200 watt woofers and they sound the same as a standard k-33. No better, no worse,just an extra 100 watt capacity that most likely will never be utilized. The cabinets are birch ply just like the standards only with a whole lot of screw holes. Just wondering, Why would anyone want such massive overkill as fiberglass cabs with 400 watt woofers? Are you in a Band?

Thanks Michael, to answer your question, no I did not change the woofers out. They are k-43 200 watt woofers and they sound the same as a standard k-33. No better, no worse,just an extra 100 watt capacity that most likely will never be utilized. The cabinets are birch ply just like the standards only with a whole lot of screw holes. Just wondering, Why would anyone want such massive overkill as fiberglass cabs with 400 watt woofers? Are you in a Band?

Justin

Thanks, Shawn.

Arrival is scheduled for tomorrow! I have been frantically working on the Moth, since we ran into a snag with it this weekend. Long story made shorter, I found that where a splice was made on the filter choke to make longer leads, only one lead was actually soldered at the splice. The other side was loose, completely unsoldered and hidden under heat shrink. A simple problem that was difficult to find. All that has been fixed, and we should be up and running agin by this evening.

Thanks for the link!

Erik

In answer to your question, I was sound and lighting engineer for quite a while in the 80's and 90's. Have half garage full of waaay overkill PA cabinets- EV TL bins, JBL tri-amped PA, Bag End line source arrays etc. It's just gathering dust and is too much stuff to hook up for a small gig or when I really want to blast. Plus I'll probably do a little garage/basement band thing one day soon.

So I'm just looking for a nice- all-in-one box that will take the punishment, have a xover, but be able to be bi-amped if I need to. Industrial LS fits this to a 'T'.

oh yeah, in answer to the mad vs bad debate. I'm both. No WAF factor here (prob won't be at this rate!) and I just LOVE music!

Michael

Justin,

I think the grills would look fabulous. I was always wondering what could be done with that area back there to enhance the look. I think you have the right idea. What would a set of those cost (in black cloth) for a pair of LS?

Do you need to make any adjustments/ modifications to the speaker to use these?

Thanks and thanks for posting,

Kevin