boomac

Youre at the Blue Note for a night of Jazz. Your musicians are:

Piano: Sonny Clark

Bass: Paul Chambers

Tenor: Hank Mobley

Trumpet: Lee Morgan

Trombone: Curtis Fuller

Drums: Philly Joe Jones

Sonny Clark gets sick and you need to get a stand in.

Who ya gonna call?

One answer and if so inclined, tell us why.

----------------

On 2/8/2005 11:08:01 PM bclarke421 wrote:

----------------

On 2/8/2005 10:35:48 PM minn_male42 wrote:

oscar peterson

or

diana krall

both excellent jazz pianists!!!

9.gif"
----------------

Please.

Wyn Kelly.

----------------

really?

give me some titles that Wyn Kelly recorded as the feature artist.... not just a jazz piano player who played with some of the greats....

On 2/9/2005 12:04:10 AM minn_male42 wrote:

give me some titles that Wyn Kelly recorded as the feature artist.... not just a jazz piano player who played with some of the greats....

----------------

My favorite Wynton Kelly date would be "Peckin' Time" with Hank Mobley and Lee Morgan. Here's a couple where he was the leader.

kellyblue.jpg

kellyview.jpg

"A superb accompanist loved by Miles Davis and Cannonball Adderley, Wynton Kelly was also a distinctive soloist who decades later would be a strong influence on Benny Green. He grew up in Brooklyn and early on played in R&B bands led by Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson, Hal Singer, and Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis. Kelly, who recorded 14 titles for Blue Note in a trio (1951), worked with Dinah Washington, Dizzy Gillespie, and Lester Young during 1951-1952. After serving in the military, he made a strong impression with Washington (1955-1957), Charles Mingus (1956-1957), and the Dizzy Gillespie big band (1957), but he would be most famous for his stint with Miles Davis (1959-1963), recording such albums with Miles as Kind of Blue, At the Blackhawk, and Someday My Prince Will Come. When he left Davis, Kelly took the rest of the rhythm section (bassist Paul Chambers and drummer Jimmy Cobb) with him to form his trio." From MSN/Dell Music

Rusty, you're out of your depth here. OP wouldn't exactly fit in with those guys. Diana Krall would have a hard time making it out of the green room with her shirt on. I like both said artists, but c'mon...

I'm changing my answer anyway.

The Incredible gets my vote tonight.

----------------

On 2/9/2005 12:04:10 AM minn_male42 wrote:

<

----------------

[/blockquote>

Dude, Oscar Peterson is flat out ANNOYING when there is a horn on the stage--his frentic comping gets in the way of everything. In a trio setting I admire his work even if I don't think it has much swing or soul in it. Throwing him into a Blue Note date circa 1958 would be cruel to EVERYONE involved- he'd have been totally out of his element.

Wynton Kelly led one of the swingingist and most souful trios of the 1960's (with Jimmy Cobb and Paul Chambers), but the records they released on Verve at the height of their popularity on the club circuit are pretty watered down stuff. Kelly's best recorded work as a leader was on Vee Jay records in the early 1960's and the best of these is a trio date (with one selection added from a previous quintet session with Hank Mobley and Lee Morgan on the front line) called "Some Day My Prince Will Come." Wynton Kelly absolutely lacks the ferocity and flat-out jaw dropping technique of Oscar Peterson, but on this one record ALONE he delivers more soul and passion than Peterson has in his entire recorded output over the last 50-odd years.

That's MY opinion and I'm standing by it!

I like Diana Krall a lot but have never had the impression her piano skills were at such a level. I'll try and do some critical listening.

I think Walter Davis Jr or Duke Pearson could play with this group and McCoy Tyner would certainly fit in. Lee Morgan played with McCoy on his "Tender Moments" LP and thats one I enjoy very much.

What's interesting here is that we have a few Forum Members who not only know who is good but who, specifically, would truly compliment a given group. Don't let that fact intimidate you into not responding.

The above posts and the research I did because of them has helped me learn something and thats a positive. Wynton Kelly would not have been my first choice but I'm now understanding why his name was brought to the forefront.

Please feel free to blast me, so here goes -

I would get a kick out of Liz Story sitting in as well as composing for this collection of folks (actually the composing may be what I want most). I have heard her sitting in with others and have always enjoyed the results (at least my ears were pleased).

2 cents

----------------

On 2/9/2005 1:23:21 PM boomac wrote:

I like Diana Krall a lot but have never had the impression her piano skills were at such a level. I'll try and do some critical listening....

----------------

if you can - check out her on her "Live in Paris" DVD and "Live at the Montreal Jazz Festival" DVD.... both live concerts and she does "stretch out" more than on her CD's....

----------------

On 2/9/2005 1:23:21 PM boomac wrote:

I like Diana Krall a lot but have never had the impression her piano skills were at such a level. I'll try and do some critical listening.

I think Walter Davis Jr or Duke Pearson could play with this group and McCoy Tyner would certainly fit in.

----------------

Krall is a MUCH better piano player than she is a SINGER. I used to hear her when she was living and playing in LA back about 12 years ago and she would only sing on about 1/3 to 1/2 of the tunes she played live--in a trio with Clayton and Hamilton she really played her *** off. I like her quite a lot and if she was still playing in the clubs I'd check her out regularaly. I didn't "get" her sudden fame and her INCREASING popularity, but she at least she DOES have jazz chops unlike some others I could mention.

Walter Davis Jr. or Duke Pearson would do just fine! Tyner would be a tougher fit in 1958--these same cats in 1965 and it's a different story!

Ben Webster.

He plays piano on the last 3 cuts of "Soulville" and I would like to hear more of his piano playing.

What a great lineup you picked.

Curtis Fuller..Wow. He is one of the reaons I like John Coltrane "Blue Train" so much. There is just something so smooth about a trombone.

Danny

On 2/9/2005 2:17:06 PM minn_male42 wrote:

if you can - check out her on her "Live in Paris" DVD and "Live at the Montreal Jazz Festival" DVD.... both live concerts and she does "stretch out" more than on her CD's....

----------------

Diana Krall CAN PLAY and the Live in Paris CD is a good one. Solid musicians with her too. I'll check out the DVDs you recommended for sure. Actually, I like her voice as well. She can't mesmerize you like Helen Merrill or Chris Connor but she's unique and I'd definitely like to see her live.