New La Scala Owner

DrTeflon

Hello to you all:

I have just purchased a pair of the La Scalas circa 1978 and I am still waiting, with drool running down my chin, for delivery. My questions is this: I have my fathers old Scott Steromaster tube amp, model A340, circa 1962-1963. How do you think these will match up and what should be done to refurbish the Scott?

First off, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase.

Off the top of my head, check with Craig at www.nosvalves.com for info on getting the unit up to snuff. Do a search here for nosvalves user name, he has a good reputation and appears to do good work, though I've never personally had the chance to use his services. Yet. 2.gif

If the Scott hasn't been used in a while (a year or more) do not plug it in and turn it on!!!!!

Seriously, something that old needs to be brought up slowly on a VARIAC. The caps in the unit may be leaky or otherwise defective and bringing it up under full AC power could cause it to die.

I gave my Scott 222 to Craig and he did a great job. Price was around $200 for a test and repair job but not a full restoration. That included a new set of tubes too!!!

It's a match made in heaven. As stated above, send it to Craig for the full package and you'll never regret it. If it's running now, listen for a couple weeks first. When you get it back you won't believe it's the same amp. I'm running a Scott 299b (rebuilt by Craig about 2 years ago) with my cornwalls and it's amazing.

You can contact Craig through the forum (NOSValves) using the message button or go to his website (NOSValves.com). He does great work for a very reasonable price.

BTW - Welcome.

Thanks for all the input and info, and the welcome! I will contact Craig, where is he located? I'm on the West Coast, just wondering about shipping cost, but from what you all have said it would be well worth the price. I should have the La Scalas shipped this weekend, can't wait. In the mean time I will be using (don't shoot me) a solid state unit, Sony GX900ES Parallel/Push/Pull Tri Amp.....yea I know Blah Blah Blah. The only other choice I have is a Sansui G-5700. The comparison down the road will be interesting and educational. Back on the Forum when my ears are ringing.

welcome, certainly try the tube amp, and I bet it is worth cleaning up, and I bet the Sony sounds good too, in fact, many people end up with both and for what ever reason switch between them, I know I do, listening to one peice of gear, swap and listen to another, something is always changing, only the gear in my profile is constant, should be a very musical system!

Craig is the guy for H H Scott. Besides being a great guy... He has a long list of happy people off of the Klipsch BB too. The key with your La Scalas is a very good clean first .05 to 5 watts and with that warm tube HH Scott unit, it will sound WONDERFULL!!

Like anything heritage, the better the source going in, the better it will sound coming out! La Scalas are very very revealing!