Perfect two-channel system?

neo33

My current analog two-channel system comprised of the following components:

AES AE-1 Pre w/AES PH-1 Phono

Welborne Labs Moondog SET Monoblocks

Linn Axis w/Basik Plus & Super Elys

Jolida JD-100A Tube CD Player

Klipsch Cornwall I Speakers

IMO, they are well matched. I have been listening on a regular basis for nearly a year now and I am quite content with it. On average, I listen to vinyls 75% more then CDs. A/C power cables are factory originals. Speakers cables and interconnects are custom made to exact length by a friend. There are no expensive, fancy cables in my setup. All components are acquired used. I paid less then 5 grand for everything including tubes and cables.

Anyone with the same setup? Comments?

Neo,

Not exactly the same but similar...

Jolida JD-100 CDP

Consonance Ella EL34 pp amp

Eastern Electronics miniMax pre amp (tube)

various cables mostly DH Labs though no "high-end"stuff

Forte I's ( I thought you were using these as well - when did you switch to the Cornwalls?)

Anyways, I am very impressed with the sound of this simple and relatively cheap system. I have probably about the same as you as all my gear was bought used as well.

I listened to a fairly high-end system the other day at a hifi shop. $10K speakers $ 10K, 350w/ch amp, $7K CDp etc...Lots of sound and very powerful sounding but...got home and realized how much more entertaining and musical my modest system is.

Vocals on mine sound real and smooth with great timbre. On the "super system" it sounded like the singer was 2" from you ear. I want to be in the audience, not inside the microphone!!

9.gif

"Distracting" is a good word for it.

I actually prefer my AKG headphones to the sound of that system. With them, it is "in your ear" for sure but it still sounds smoother and more natural.

I'm sure that system is very "accurate" in reproducing all that is on the source but musical?...not to me. I played in a jazz band and like live music. It does not sound like what that system was producing. I am amazed whenever I come back from a live event, at how "real" my system sounds.

hi,

I have my Fortes hooked up to my rebuilt EICO hf-81 and the sound is just beautiful. I tried the Fortes with a Soundcraftsman A400 ss amp 230watts/channel and I like the presentation wtih the small tubes better.

Have your tried the Cornwalls with the EICO ?

I too am looking at a Welborne Labs Monoblock SET and a Wright Labs Mono 8 SET amp. I going to the audio show in NY in May to listens to some of this stuff. I would love to hear what you say about the EICO vs the Moondogs on the Cornwalls.

Larry

Neo,

that sounds like a very musical system. I don't know if you are into soldering, but much as I liked the AE-1, I find the Transcendent Sound GG preamp the more transparent unit and therefore perhaps an even better match for a good SET amp (letting you get a little more of that special SET soundstage) 3.gif .

Wolfram

NEO;

You lied!

Your sig says Forte and now you identify Corns as the mains for the past year?

Forte gets most people all the way "there" most of the time.

Corn people are "there" with a bit more probability although the bigger horn (of K or LS or Da Lady) is still beyond our grasp and there is some emotional yearning for he Big Mid "H" @ high SPLs.

Corn is a seductive but unwieldly beast to physically wrestle from house to house or room to room.

Not a speaker I would acquire if I might have to get out of town quick due to a "deal " gone bad. KLF 20 or 30 would slide into the back of my van quicker; although I may rebuild the cabs with more intense bracing and hang the crossover outside.

I bought a dozen teal roses for Trinity today; she needed a little color...

OH

If a well read member is reading; I have been drinking a bit due to some immediate family mortality isues. Editorial prowess may be a bit "forward" but not too "jittery"; I hope.

As in the past few years i have found this forum to be; digital therapy that fits my schedule. I just keep whacking on the keys, sharply but quietly.

Just a bit shy of pleasant winter...

Rick

Thank you for your patience.

"I bought a dozen teal roses for Trinity today; she needed a little color..."

AF, you lied like a dog...er rabbit...I mean a cat...whatever...Trinity likes black roses and she's sleeping right next to me. 3.gif.

I like the Corns for the reason that they play well in both small and large rooms; they are much smaller then the KHorns and thus are more mobile as far as placement is concerned.

Wolf, I can't comment on the Transcendent, but IMO, the AE-1 matched extremely well with the Doggies...and the PH-1 won't do without the AE-1 (just likes Trinity is nothing without Neo) 9.gif.

AF,

Sorry to hear about your "family mortality issues" - hope you pass through these presumably difficult times OK.

Posting therapy - interesting concept!

Neo,

I WAS around a similar budget for my system to you - then I blew it big time - ah well - its the enjoyment that counts, who needs money anyway?

The attachment is an AE-1, with some important changes to the power supply and grounding scheme. I built this last summer, mainly because I was not happy with the proximity of power supply and signal circuitry in the original factory version. With some work, I have brought the residual noise level to very, very near that of the Grounded Grid. I have to admit that, as much as I've enjoyed this preamp, I think the Rozenblit designed Grounded Grid is cleaner sounding. Both preamps are very similar in that they use a grounded grid circuit design, which is uncommon. More than anything, it's outstanding in terms of clarity and transient speed. Those are characteristics that are important to me, but might not be so desirable for someone else.

That said, I thought the AE-1 good enough to be worthy of a complete rebuild, which is what is shown in the picture. The basic layout is the same, but I have created a fair amount of distance between signal and power supply sections. This helped with background noise levels.

....some of this gets really crazy in terms trying to determine which is better -- and, in some cases, might have not much more to do with than simply being related to the mood we happen to be in at the time the comparison is made. It's my opinion that the variability of human psychology can come into play with all of this: What sounds great one day, might not be so great on another.

The Lexicon processor/preamp is now very much the control center of our system, and it works marvelously well for both purposes.

post-10533-13819261781364_thumb.jpg