K-33E Woofers for Cornwall

cwilts

I have a pair of Cornwall speakers, and need a replacement K-33E (square magnet) woofer for one of them. I checked eBay, and found nothing but "used" and "in need of repair" speakers. As best as I can tell, Klipsch no longer provides the K-33E speaker as a replacement part.

So the question-- Where can I find a replacement K-33E replacement speaker? (If only the round magnet version is available, will there be a difference in the sound when comparing the two speakers in the pair?)

----------------

On 2/13/2005 2:28:01 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Do you just need yours reconed cause it's blown? Save the frame and contact BEC (Bob Crites) on this forum. He provides this recone service. Otherwise, keep checking the Forum and eBay.

Michael

----------------

Michael,

I do plan to start reconning the K-33Es but am not ready to do them yet. Have to make more room first. Takes a lot of room and time to do them. I don't think there is a place that will recone them using the right recone kits to keep them original right now. I will be doing them with Klipsch parts when I get moving on them.

The square magnet K-33Es have not been made since sometime in the 80's. The K-33E with round magnets replaced them and are what is available now new. The Fs is different on the two woofers with the older square magnet ones going lower. Probably would not make any difference in the sound, but that would be up for discussion.

Bob Crites

It isn't just a reconing thing, but rather, a voice coil issue, so basically, it has to be rebuilt or replaced. I'm checking out the rebuild option here in New Orleans, but this isn't the "hotbed" of electronics that I was used to in California. Meanwhile, I'm looking for a replacement, since if one went, I should prepare myself for the other one.

Thanks for the info.

Go to the local dope infested musical repair shop.

Have him cut off the dustcaps and check the coils for continuity, on old drivers the tinsel leads just fade away.

If that's the case it is a cheap and easy fix for both of you.

If the coil is really shot, ask him if he can order from Image/Waldom. Tell him you want 15162 kits, if he says $100~$120 for the pair, go for it. A kit has a new coil, cone and surround, spider, dustcap, and he provides the tinsel lead, adhesives, and gaskets.

He could also find you another frame to match whichever one you are fond of, and swap it out for you.

around here, my local PA repair shop calls it a 'recone' although it is voice coil, spider, cone, surround, and dust cap. Everything but the magnet, basket and gasket is replaced.Gasket available if you need it.

There is a real art to this guys, the telling is how neat the bead of sealant is that glues the dust cap to the cone. Saw an article in a PA magazine on 'how-to'. Have you ever caulked your bathtub tile before? Imagine glueing one slanted surface and one rounded surface, only about 3" around, with limited access. Don't try this at home!

Thanks for info on vendor and part number though. Good to know.

Michael

Brand new K-33 is about 130.00 from Klipsch right?Seems better just to buy new one and give Bob the old one to use to start his repair inventory then later just buy a old rebuilt one from him if you want old square magnet one.Also just cause one woofer went out dont mean the other one will. Rick

yes Rick , that would be quicker, but then he's got a $130 spare round back woofer in his personal inventory. Maybe doens't have the funds for a new woofer and to get a rebuild. Thats about 2 bills total. Trust me, this stuff adds up quick. You should see all the spare PA stuff I've got lying around.

Any idea when you'll be totally geared up Bob? What is it that you can do now? K55, K77, and K33 round mags? Perhaps Heresy 12" as well? Maybe a post with services and prices might drum up some business and help those of us with the fix or buy new questions. Thanks

Michael

Michael,

I will let some know when I am ready to do the K-33Es. Hope it is by this summer. Just takes more space to set up and do these things than I have available now.

Eminence makes the K-33E for Klipsch and when they do a production run for Klipsch, they also make the recone kits for Klipsch. Eminence told me that allthough some of the parts in the kit are sort of generic, the voice coil is not. All that is according to the guy I talked with at Eminence.

Since you asked, I can repair the K-55V, K-55M, K-53K, K-77 and most of the other Klipsch tweeters.

Bob

Thanks Bob, that post will help a lot of members. Those woofer parts look so, so, PRISTINE (drool, drool) I think we can get you some business here. I was always worried that when my local PA guys did my K33's a decade ago they might have used a 'generic' kit. Is there any way to tell the difference short of destruction? They work and sound great and I thought the price reasonable at the time.

Thanks,

Michael

btw, I'll get that K77 and K57 out this week. Do what you can for the K57, I'm praying that the K53 kit might work.

Michael,

You would disconnect the woofer from the crossover and measure the voice coil of the woofer without anything else in the circuit. Unless you have a pretty good meter and good leads on the meter, you might not be able to tell much about what real resistance you are reading.

Bob

Michael,

I got lost somewhere, I thought we were talking about how to see if your reconned woofers were done with the right parts.

Yes, I need the horn also with the K-57 so that after (I hope) I fix it, I can test it.

Bob