K-horn question

hightone

I should be getting my first pair of k-horn sometime this week.16.gif

I have a few questions. They are early 80's vintage. What crossover would be in this vintage? I know it has the cast horn lens. What is the prefered network?

Also The room is 21' x 12'4". How tough is it going to be to set these up in this room and get good sound?

Thanks,

Joel

----------------

On 2/13/2005 11:18:01 PM hightone wrote:

Also The room is 21' x 12'4". How tough is it going to be to set these up in this room and get good sound?

Thanks,

Joel

----------------

Definitely put them across the long wall. You'll be glad you did! 3.gif

When Khorns perform their disappearing act it is quite stunning!

Woo

----------------

On 2/14/2005 12:44:29 AM Woodog wrote:

----------------

On 2/13/2005 11:18:01 PM hightone wrote:

Thanks,

Joel

----------------

Definitely put them across the long wall. You'll be glad you did!
3.gif

When Khorns perform their disappearing act it is quite stunning!

Woo

----------------

Where would the sweet spot be if they were on the long wall? I think I could make it work. The short wall would be easier. I just am not sure the room is deep enough for the lnog wall.

I just upgraded the caps on my newly acquired '74 k-horns. It took about 15 minutes per side. Two screws to remove the x-overs and then typically two screws per motor run cap. Then carefully unsolder and resolder the new units in. If you take more time than I did, you can do a nice job of mounting.

I got metalized polypropolyne caps from Allied Electronics. $29.00 total for both speakers. It made a HUGE difference in sound. Much more crisp and detailed from how they started out. I did a side by side comparison after the first one was done and was shocked to find the original units sounded muddy in comparison to the new caps.

If the x-overs are type AA you will need two 2uF and one 13uF cap for each speaker. I could not find a 13uF single unit so I went with a 10 and a 3 wired in parallel.

Good luck.

The sweet spot will probably be at the opposite wall in the center. With a center speaker not much change. The subwoofer will change it a ton and even out some of the nodes moving the spot closer to the center of the room. If your chair is in the center of the room your feet might put a hole in the center speaker when you get one. I don't think you will be allowed to put a chair in the center of the room since other factors are involved possibly.

JJK