EV - Leslie speakers

Budman

These are very nice examples of Leslie speakers but impractical for audio applications. Leslies were primarily designed as remote speakers for musical instruments - with effects. Their main claim to fame was the mechanical "Vibrato" effect which involves either a piece of styroform spinning around the speaker or as in older leslie PA models, the speaker itself spinning.

This particular model was sold as remote speakers for organs, most likely a Hammond organ (M-3 model, I think). These organs were usually installed in churches, thus the fine cabinetry work.

Although I've never heard a Leslie in a 2-channel system, I can't imagine it sounding very good in that application. I'm not even sure its a 2-way design.

Have fun, Bryan

These are speakers intended to reproduce ORGAN music live, as in the Hammond B3 or similar instruments. THe AC power cords power the built-in tube amps and the rotating mechanism. Viewing the bass unit. the downward firing woofer loads the cabinet volume below and there would probably be a rotating 'open sided box' or some other affair that would revolve at various speeds giving the vibrato effect. The top end may be similar or in a traditional Leslie cabinet, would be two conical shaped horns at 180 degrees to each other on a spinning turntable.

These would in no way be suitable for music playback of any type, even with the rotating effect turned off.

Good luck to the seller, given that there is no description of this whatsoever. These would be wonderful if you had an electronic organ at home however.

Michael

All good information above. Just to add a little more info to the mix:

The Lesile speaker works on the prinicipal of the doppler effect; the same effect that causes a car horn to change pitch as it comes closer or gets futher away from the listener. Booker T was really glad they invented Lesiles. 2.gif Some guitarists such as Peter Frampton used them with their electric guitars, too. He still does to this day.

Just a side note, I looked at them and they seem to be "Electro MUSIC" speakers, Not Electro VOICE speakers.

At least, that's what one of the tags on back said. Furthermore, EV at that time was it's own company as I recall (later to become part of Gultan and then part of Mark IV Industries and then later still (today) I have no idea)

Anyways, the sticker says they're a division of CBS Inc (I think), out of Pasadena CA.

Not that it really matters, I'm just trying to show what I noticed.

9.gif

Hey Guys,

Yep, They're Electro-Music, which wasn't affiliated with E-V at all. I'm an organ nut so I love these things. I've never seen this model before though. The larger organs (B-3, C-3) used 9 pin connections, where as the smaller ones used 11 pins. This has a 11, so that would put it in M-3 territory.

This is one of their smaller cabs, looks like solid state era. Doesn't have the rotating horn on top, instead they use two stationary speakers. It might use a tremolo circuit to alternate the sound between those two top speakers to emulate a turning horn? It has a woofer with the turning rotor below it. It would be okay for cheaper organs, but it's not a home speaker, the circuitry is proprietary for organs.

-Jon

----------------

On 2/18/2005 6:13:35 PM D-MAN wrote:

An electric organ can't ROCK unless it's coming out a Leslie! Thought everyone knew that!?

DM
2.gif

----------------

You've got that right brother!! I'm going to go put on some "Jimmy Smith" right now!! I love the sound of a big Leslie and a Hammond B3..........

sidenote: I emailed that ebay person and told him the speaker was not an EV. Just said I was telling him in case he didn't realize his mistake.

Upshot: He responded to my email telling me that he's just describing the speaker AS PER THE TAGS on it!! lol

Soooooooo, me being the obtuse person I can be, copied his very picture saying it was an Electro Music brand, and emailed it back to him as further clarification.

Of course, I've not heard back.

11.gif