Mullard 2A3 tubes on Ebay???

Daddy Dee

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64629&item=5751611636&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I don't recall seeing Mullard 2A3's before. While I suppose it is a safe assumption that they WERE made once, but don't think it is safe to assume that these tubes on Ebay are the real deal.

There are three or four tubes in the coke bottle shape and some plain bottle militarized verson tubes.

Anyone know the skinny on Mullard 2A3's? Any thoughts appreciated.

There has always been a fair amount of rebranding among tube manufacturers. These Sylvania 5930's may have been the source for some of the Mullard branded(made in USA) tubes from this seller.

SYL2A3a.jpg

A Mullard manufactured in one of the British plants is usually etched with "Made in Gt Britain".

Klipsch out.

Man, I tried to get one of those 5930's.

The first 5930 auction ended 14 minutes before the other two. I slammed in a 70.00 bid and was still outbid.

I was about to bag it when I figured I'll try the other two 5930 auctions, which were ten seconds apart on ending.

Put up two windows, set-up my bids and waited. Put in a seventy dollar bid for each and was outbid by the same guy. He wanted 'em bad.

Now he gets to pay 70 bucks for each of them. Punk.....

Oh well, I saved 70 bucks.

Like Edmond said in the past, it's like the bus system. There will be another coming along....

At least the 5930 I picked up for 50 bucks tested at well over 100%.

We were listening to a 2A3 amp with James iron using the Sylvania USN 5930's. We swapped one side with a Ken-Rad JAN-CKR 2A3, and try to listen to each side and tell the difference.

The 5930 may have had a bit more air, not really much difference to say. Both are nice and natural.

I picked up the lower voltage PS transformer I need to convert my 300B amp back to 2A3 voltages. Dan bummed the Ken-Rad 2A3 to use until I can find a 5930.

It may look pretty funky, but I can listen to 2A3's.

----------------

On 2/20/2005 8:24:47 PM mike stehr wrote:

Oh well, I saved 70 bucks.

Like Edmond said in the past, it's like the bus system. There will be another coming along....

At least the 5930 I picked up for 50 bucks tested at well over 100%.

We were listening to a 2A3 amp with James iron using the Sylvania USN 5930's. We swapped one side with a Ken-Rad JAN-CKR 2A3, and try to listen to each side and tell the difference.

The 5930 may have had a bit more air, not really much difference to say. Both are nice and natural.

I picked up the lower voltage PS transformer I need to convert my 300B amp back to 2A3 voltages. Dan bummed the Ken-Rad 2A3 to use until I can find a 5930.

It may look pretty funky, but I can listen to 2A3's.
----------------

Mike,

$50 for a 5930 that test new is a true STEAL! There are a few places on the web that have 5930's listed on occasion,

but the price usually is $80.00 or more, each.

Klipsch out.

$50 for a 5930 that test new is a true STEAL! There are a few places on the web that have 5930's listed on occasion,

but the price usually is $80.00 or more, each.

Well, the base is a little loose. But it didn't seem to matter when tested. I gotta kinda bark at the seller,(in a nice manner of course)he didn't indicate the loose base in the auction. Tsk..tsk...

At least it's strong and not quirky. Dan has put quite a few hours on the 5930 pair he is using, and they still test well over 100%, and really don't budge on the life test.

Mine came out at 110%, the Ken-Rad is at 112%.

Yup, 80 bucks a pop.