Removing QuickTime

Colin

I had to install QuickTime to view a beautiful Mandarin Goby feeding clip, but it interfered with RealPlayer (which is easier to burn CDs with than Media Player). Now I cant see QuickTime in the Remove Programs menu, but it is still in my system tray. I dont see it using up much CPU or RAM, but I HATE rude programs that install themselves! How can I remove them? How do I know what to remove from the services subwoofers-menu on Task Manager?

7.gif

Try clicking my computer in the start menu. Then right clicking local disk, and then right click programs. See if it's in there. I had a few tricky ones to get rid of. Sometimes it will say you cannott delete, because it's being used. I got around that by opening the folder then started to delete the stuff that was in the folder. Then backed it up and successfully deleted that folder. Another way could be to x it out on your startup menu. I forget how to do that, but it's in the post where I asked about memory and ram.

It's not the best idea to just go into My Programs, and just start deleting stuff, but you might find an uninstall program in the quicktime program file.

Also, keep in mind that when you install Quicktime anymore, it also installs iTunes.

I use Media Player Classic to play quicktime files. If I can't download the file to my harddrive, I just don't watch it.

To stop Quicktime from starting in your system tray, go to Start=>Run, Type msconfig, go to startup and uncheck qttask. I'd also go ahead and uncheck Realsched, which you probably also have if you use realplayer. Then Restart your machine and they should be gone (from the system tray).

Actually the startup of the icon and file in your system tray is in the registry. You will find it under the following key:

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

However, if you don't know how to edit the registry then do this for XP OS:

1) Click on the start button and select run.

2) Type msconfig in the dialog box and hit enter.

3) In the dialog box that opens click on the startup tab

4) You will see everything that is being started when your pc is booted. Find the QuickTime file and remove the checkmark in the box beside it. That's it.

• 9 months later...

I know this is an older post but I just discovered it. Thanks for the tips. I've known how to get to the list of start ups, but could never decipher what all the descriptions meant. Are there any sites that explain what each program is and helps turn all the jibberish into program names? Thanks, Don.