speakers in series?

joessportster

hello just want to see if this is known to cause any problems with speakers or amps etc... my phase linear manual says to run 2 sets of speakers off 1 amp to wire the speakers in series, meaning run the pos lead from amp to 1st speaker, that speaks, neg lead to 2nd speaks, pos. and the neg lead from the amp to the neg lead on the 2nd speak. any suggestions are welcome, i actually have 2 amps hooked up but want to run 6 speakers, 2 sets of cornwalls and a set of heresys, would be running a set of corns and the heresy's off 1 amp and the second set of corns on an amp by themselves. just looking for confirmation that this is a good way to hook up as i dont want any problems from my amp or klipsch Thanks in advance Joe1.gif

----------------

On 2/19/2005 11:09:29 AM lynnm wrote:

Wiring speakers in series is safe as you are effectively adding their impedances to gether ( Impedance is the AC equivalent of resistance ). In other words series connection of two 8 ohm speakers results in an impedance of 16 ohms.

----------------

thank you very much sir. i do appreciate the response, i was thinking backwards myself i thought it lowered the impedance by half making for 4 ohms, is raising the impedance thereby making the speakers more efficient and thus using even less power to drive, and causing a differance in the volume between the pair wired alone and the 2 pair in series

10.gif Joe

The first two examples are for 4 ohm speakers. The last one is for 8 ohm. These are your only options of wiring to keep between 2-8 ohms. If you want to have six speakers off one amp, i'll have to upload a different pic.

The middle example is a series. The others are parallel. If you have 8 ohm speakers wired in series, you will get 16 ohm as stated above.

jc

s raising the impedance thereby making the speakers more efficient and thus using even less power to drive, and causing a differance in the volume between the pair wired alone and the 2 pair in series

1. No raising the impedance does not effect the efficiency but if you are driving 2 pair of identical speakers then you are effectively doubling the cone surface thereby moving a lot more air. The volume of the sound will therefore be somewhat louder.

thanks to all i have the corns wired in series with a pair of heresy's sounds fine, i use the old phase linear 400 amp and it gets hot if the impedance goes to low, i used to use infinity speakers of the vintage type and they were always going down below 2 ohms and cousing my amps to get alot hotter than i liked, infinity had a decent sound or so i thought till i bought klipsch(no going back now) eventually i hope to get a set of the khorns(but those will have to wait till i find a pair at a price i can afford, baby on the way limits the spending) thanks for the diagrams also10.gif

----------------

On 2/19/2005 1:40:44 PM lynnm wrote:

Well with a pair of Cornwalls and a pair of Heresys you won't suffer waiting to get the horns. That looks to be a very nice setup you run.

----------------

im pretty happy with it and with a set of cornwalls in the living room now and the others in my listening aera, the whole house is shaking to david bowie lets dance, being played on my dual cs5000 TT, sound is crystal clear, as it should be, the herseys are a little brighter than cornwalls but when coupled togeather as i have them it makes an awsome setup, i have yet to hear anything better i would love to audition khorns but no-one around me has them and none of my friends have a clue as to what hi-fi is about there all happy with static and distortion (go figure) thanks again to all

10.gif Joe

Back in the early '80's I wanted to run two H's together. I called a tech at Hope and asked which would work best, parallel into 4 ohms or series into 16 ohms. The answer: never run Klipsch speakers in series. It wont hurt the speaker or the amplifier but it will sound awful. It is quite one thing to run single voice coils in series vs. running crossover networks in series. His strong advice was "Don't do it."

I never did, but I always wanted to try it just to see what he was talking about. If you give it a try, report back and let us know. THANKS.

DR BILL

• 2 weeks later...

From my understanding based on the diagrams provided, I could run 2 4ohm speakers in series thus making them 8ohms and then push them from an off the shelf reciever as opposed to having to get an amp???? I understand ohms law, just seems for some reason this would not be a good way to create a higher ohm speaker from a lower ohm. Would this be a decent temporary solution that I could use to run 4 RF-7's until I get an amp that could push 4ohms? Just a curiosity I don't have 4 RF-7's just curious if someone were to read this post and try this if anything bad would happen

----------------

On 2/20/2005 3:16:48 PM DRBILL wrote:

Back in the early '80's I wanted to run two H's together. I called a tech at Hope and asked which would work best, parallel into 4 ohms or series into 16 ohms. The answer: never run Klipsch speakers in series. It wont hurt the speaker or the amplifier but it will sound awful. It is quite one thing to run single voice coils in series vs. running crossover networks in series. His strong advice was "Don't do it."

I never did, but I always wanted to try it just to see what he was talking about. If you give it a try, report back and let us know. THANKS.

DR BILL

----------------

hello i am running the ppeakers in series and have for a few days now, the sound i still the klipsch sound but it is affected some, they still sound clear, and good mid, bass and highs, but not as loud this is likely because i am running 1 amp now for the 2 pair instead of 2 amps, as far as sounding AWFUL that is not true, may be a little more revealing actually of crap recordings etc... but still sound better than any other speakers i have had in the past and that list includes infinity, tannoy, vandersteen, cerwin vega, and even though i hate to admit it on here bose 6.gif10.gif10.gif Joe

----------------

On 2/20/2005 3:16:48 PM DRBILL wrote:

DR BILL

----------------

I can't figure why it would be bad, except for the variety dispersion patterns and all of the comb-filtering that would be going on, or the widely separated speakers causing delay issues. Now THAT could sound bad, but to flat say don't do it doesn't make alot of sense to me, except if they were used to having customers calling up complaining that there series-connected speakers sounded like crap. There would be no way to predict the behavior of separated speakers (if they were stacked, fine), so I suppose I can understand the "don't do it" part, I guess.

Those dang customers! Who knows what they are going to do with your product?!

DM2.gif

i guess i should also have said that i have my speakers stacked corns with heresys on top, wired in series, as a side note i just wired some speakers up for a friend 4 advents in series and they were about 25 feet apart, the wire leads were longer as they went up into the attic and then back down the oppasite wall, sounds pretty good in his garage, no problem with delay here either10.gif Joe

• 2 weeks later...

if you run them in series as described earlier in the thread you should be alright as this will increase the total ohms of the 4 speakers say if you were running 2 pair of 8 ohm speakers in series they would theoretically be running at 16 ohms when wired in series10.gif Joe