DIY crossover - LISTENING test

popbumper

All:

With limited time this weekend, and assembled crossovers in hand, I spent a VERY late night/early morning Friday/Saturday (12AM-3AM) assembling one of the networks into a single Forte. Why single? Well, I wished to get a good "A/B" comparison between the L&R speakers, and also, I did not have enough parts to complete a second network!

Interestingly, had the Forte not had an "angular board" behind the cup, this network could have been modified so as to attach to the cup itself (which would have been slick) but it was not to be. Oh well, the network still fit neatly in the bottom of the cab; I still need to mount it permanently.

After one minor error I made (which helped me to correct my instructions), I witnessed the following:

1) Clarity. Let me describe it this way; imagine having a converstaion with someone, where everytime they speak to you, something emits a mild "hiss" at the same time, not annoying, but nonetheless present. NOW, imagine the conversation WITHOUT the hiss, clear and clean. This was a subtle but remarkable change.

2) Openness. WOW. With ONE speaker improved, the soundstage extended far wider than it had; it even seemed to improve the OTHER speakers which were not modified. Quite impressive; can't wait until they are all done.

3) Presence. With the advantages above, I found myself adding 5dB to the volume, and the sound was so clear and sweet, the added volume was not harsh at all.

ONE caveat about this whole thing - when I put the network in, I had wired the autoformer to -9dB squawker level as the original. I was horrified - the midrange was almost ABSENT! I literally bypassed the autoformer, and the speaker performed FINE without it (the midrange seemed OK, though the wife DID comment about it being "too forward"). I reset the tap to -3dB on the squawker, and it is now VERY pleasing. Odd....

At any rate, I was a bit skeptical about all of this, but being said and done, the change in the sound IS subtle, BUT appreciable. I am looking forward to getting the Academy and the other Forte done soon.

Two more comments about the networks:

1) A SINGLE board CAN be used for the Heresy or Cornwall, if anyone is interested.

2) I will have instructions done this week. If anyone is interested in these boards, let me know, as I will need to order another set.

MANY thanks for your interest - this experiment has been a great success!

Chris

OK, I guess using the word "subtle" was not a good choice. I meant it more as a way of saying "hey, the speaker does not sound COMPLETELY diferent, but IMPROVED from where it started".

...or, is that a bad way of saying it too...;>)?

Regardless, very happy with the project and the improvement it affords.

Chris