preferred crossovers for Lascala speakers.

j krause

I haven't heard the AL crossovers. Have been quite happy alternating between AA, A, and ALK type A replacements. They all sound good to me.

It could be that in your 20 year old AL networks that you have some caps that have drifted off spec. There are some good options for restoring those to spec. On the forum there is a fairly often expressed preference for other than AL crossovers, but if they are on spec, I'd be surprised if they didn't sound quite good. Mr PWK didn't let just anything out of the factory.

One option is that Al Klappenberger now offers his type A replacement networks in DIY form, which would be alot of fun to build and they will sound fabulous in your Scalas.

When I brought my LaScala home from Shawn Fogg's, I compared an original motor run AA, a recapped AA, bridged and unbridged, and an ALK. The ALK wiped the floor with the other ones in all three ranges. The bass is cleaner, the mids are much, much cleaner, less harsh and the "Blare" overshoot is gone and the highs are as crystal clear as a K-77 has ever been. Another advantage with the ALKs is the ability to tailor the output of the squaker to your room, amp and ears.

The AA is reputed to be better than the AL although I have never heard the latter.

Upgrade to the ALK. I have scala 84's and upgraded 6 weeks ago from the AL network to Al's ALK's. The difference is amazing. I had considered selling the scalas. I'm so glad I didn't.

01010034.jpg

see this thread if you want to know my experience:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=60062&forumID=71&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={41035405-7A43-4F55-8DA2-F1508FB4DA58}

jc

post-16499-13819261960222_thumb.jpg