So, has Klipsch completely sold out now?

Scudd

Is it true that they are make some of their speakers in China now? I was really disappointed when they picked up Worst Buy and left Sound Advice here in Florida. They left no outlet here to purchase the higher-end products.I guess corporate greed gets to the best of them....

If its true, thats the last nail in their coffin for me...

BTW, that new speaker line up (RVX series) makes me want to puke. They look like what Infinty did eight years ago and what Polk has been doing for the last 3 years. Great R&D people.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 2/22/2005 12:48:24 AM Scudd wrote:

BTW, that new speaker line up (RVX series) makes me want to puke. They look like what Infinty did eight years ago and what Polk has been doing for the last 3 years. Great R&D people.

----------------

Have you actually LISTENED to them?

People want tall and slim speakers that go well with flat-panel TVs. I see no reason why Klipsch should have given up on that portion of the market.

Yes they may be acoustically inferior to larger, heftier speakers, but it's a tradeoff for the buyers, and a business opportunity for Klipsch.

----------------

On 2/22/2005 12:48:24 AM Scudd wrote:

----------------

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the RVX series. They sound very good for their size, however they're not for me (or apparently you). Just because Klipsch makes these smaller or more affordable speakers does not mean they sold out at all. They're just catering to another part of the market. I'm a fan of the larger speakers myself (I have a mostly Heritage HT setup) but some people cannot afford to run a setup like that because of money or space restrictions. The only way Klipsch would be a sell out is if they completely dropped the high end reference systems and went strictly small reference and Synergy series. But, with the coming of the Reference Premier line, I think we can rule that out.

On a side note, I'm noticing that the Klipsch bashing has really been on the rise lately and I'm beginning to wonder why... From my point of view, they have done absolutely nothing wrong and if anything are moving in the complete right direction. Besides, none of us have any stake in Klipsch so it's not our business to say what they can and can't do anyway.

Thanks Prof, I really enjoyed that post. I too have noticed a rise in Klipsch bashing. I think it's just become trendy. My r-35's may have been made in China (I don't know), but they are still the best sounding speakers I've ever owned, and they make me want to save up for rf-7s. The price/performance ratio compared to other speaker manufacturers is fantastic, IMHO, so I really don't see how anyone can complain about them selling out. In fact, it seems to me to be just the opposite. In this day and age where everyone is consolidating their product lines and doing cost saving, Klipsch is still making their huge old Heritage series for those audiofies how love them. How is that for not sacrificing quality for profit?

Frankly, some of the whiners need to examine what really goes on in corporate America so they can appreciate what good care Klipsch actually takes of them.

Scott

Guest Anonymous

anything below the rf35's are made in china, otherwise they are made in the usa.... end of story. Futhermore they did not sell out, they are doing the only thing they can to continue to make money, i personally do not agree with everything but, buisness is buissness and if you want to stay around and compete with the big boys you have to make bold moves and thats what they are doing. so what if you and i don't like it! we make up about 1% of the klipsch buying pool here. Furthmore most of us buy used klipsch anyways. The nummber one selling itme for klipsch right now is the quintets adn the ksw10, i don't ever see anyone on here who talks about there brand new quintets, when it happens its often rare. Anyways, sometimes you just have to accept change and this is one of those times

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 2/22/2005 1:42:46 AM Scudd wrote:

Send more jobs over to China. Like most people now days all they want is cheap eletronics.

BTW, I cant purchase the Reference series... No retailer in my area carries them.

----------------

we are a capatilist nation, we are not industrialized anymore the only way to grow our nation is through outsourcing.... fact of life

----------------

On 2/22/2005 1:21:36 AM ottscay wrote:

Thanks Prof, I really enjoyed that post. I too have noticed a rise in Klipsch bashing. I think it's just become trendy. My r-35's may have been made in China (I don't know), but they are still the best sounding speakers I've ever owned, and they make me want to save up for rf-7s. The price/performance ratio compared to other speaker manufacturers is fantastic, IMHO, so I really don't see how anyone can complain about them selling out. In fact, it seems to me to be just the opposite. In this day and age where everyone is consolidating their product lines and doing cost saving, Klipsch is still making their huge old Heritage series for those audiofies how love them. How is that for not sacrificing quality for profit?

Frankly, some of the whiners need to examine what really goes on in corporate America so they can appreciate what good care Klipsch actually takes of them.

Scott

----------------

I agree!

As long as Klipsch is still building their Heritage line everything's fine. I would only complain if they totally give up this market.

What does Infinity for their old fashioned custumers? Nothing ! Or is there still a "classic Kappa series" in production??

We all cant be a nation of Mgr's.... fact of life. Ten years from now, do you think those Quintets are going to be around. I dont think so. I might define that as cheap crap.

Some brands have a loyal customer base unlike Infinty and a host of others. Klipsch is one of them. On there current path that customer base wont be there in 20 years, because the product wont support it.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 2/22/2005 2:01:02 AM Scudd wrote:

We all cant be a nation of Mgr's.... fact of life. Ten years from now, do you think those Quintets are going to be around. I dont think so. I might define that as cheap crap.

Some brands have a loyal customer base. Klipsch is one of them. On there current path that customer base wont be there in 20 years, because the product wont support it.

----------------

like is said that extreme loyal base you speak of is based around the heritage line! not the quintets. And that really loyal base usually buys used heritage anyways. So explain to me how klipsch is supposed to maintain there buisness when there is about 1500 orders for new heritage a year?

Dude, everyone sells intro-level products! In order to support the low-volume products (which themselves are facing tighter margins all the time) like Heritage, you have to sell high-volume products. It's the only way to make a consistent profit. I, for one, am grateful that Klipsch sells Promedia Ultra and Quintet products, otherwise I wouldn't currently own the Reference series speakers I love so much. I didn't know the Klipsch name until I got them, and liked what I heard for the price enough to explore their higher end. Are people offended that Klipsch is now making speakers for more people to enjoy? Has our little club become less exclusive because mere mortals know the Klipsch name?

You understand that if Klipsch doesn't have high-volume products then there is no Heritage line, there is no support (and no new production) of the audiophile products we love. Klipsch did not create the current political and economic climate, but they do have to survive in it. If you don't like it, great, do something to change the problem at its root, but don't shoot the messenger. Where do all the other companies produce their equally priced speakers? In Ohio? I doubt it.

Despite the economic need to generate volume sales products, they still produce and support their Heritage, they producing fantastic sounding Reference speakers, and they are developing the new Reference Premier series. And further more, they provide a fantastic forum for audiophiles to post on, even when it isn't complimentary. Does Paradigm provide a forum for users to mouth off at them? Does McIntosh?

I think this thread needs a heavy dose of reality.

Scott

Guest Anonymous

well if you aren't talking about the heritage line.... then you aren't talking about the LOYAL customers! and if you did your homework you would know that the refrence line has not been around for that long not even 8 years. Furthermore they didn't even create a line outside of heritage 20 years ago (the kg4 was built in 1985 which is the closest thing outside of heritage i know of). But I guess I am wrong.

Tell me why you can't buy this stuff? are you going to settle for something else made in china? at this point whats the difference. Lastly once you get it in your home and have it set up, is the fact that it has a made in china sticker on it really going to change the sound? if it does let me know, because I will stop buying them too if thats the case.

EDIT:

I think this thread needs a heavy dose of reality.

Scott

you couldn't be any more right

END EDIT

And what is wrong with Reference and THX Ultra series? My Reference speakers sound fantastic. I guess the lower end versions are made in China. Does that mean they aren't still excellent speakers for their price? And the THX Ultras have gotten nothing but rave reviews for HT use, which is what they are designed for.

Scott

Your missing the whole point. I'll say it louder. THE REFERENCE SERIES ARE NOT SOLD IN MY MARKET ON A WALK IN BASIS. The only thing availible in my area is the cheap crap. If Ford only sold the F150 in 5 states, but sold the Ranger in 50 states, would they loose money. Do you think they would make more money if they sold the F-150 in 50 states too.

Guest Anonymous

outside of your first post, i am pretty sure that if you re-read all of your other posts, and the topic of this thread you will find that you really have only been complaining, not about the fact its not avaliable, but the fact its "crap", i am not going to argue with you anymore, this is childish, all i am saying is that you may be taking it a little too far. anyways good luck with whatever it is that you decide on and sorry to be aggravating to you, i do not like to argue on this forum

Too bad they're not sold in your area, but that is besides the point. I don't care if they are made in Bolivia, if they perform and hold up as well as they do, period. Maybe if you look around enough, you will see that a Honda ( import ) is assembled in Alliston, Ontario, Canada, and is exported to the United States, Japan and 10 other countries.

Why is it that a Japanese brand carmaker has to import their own vehicles to Japan?? Face it, we live in a global economy, period.

Hey Scudd, I'm sorry you can't find a dealer in your area, that does suck. I know I have to drive over an hour (each way) to get to an authorized Klipsch dealer. Living in Wyoming, I've just kind of gotten used to it, but it isn't a whole lot of fun. Availability issues may be caused by the manufacturer, but just as often it is casued by a change in strategy from the retailers. I don't pretend to know why the changes in distribution were made in your area, but it can certainly be a pain in the arse.

That said, your posts do seem to target a little extra negative oomph at the Klipsch product and company strategy. It may not be their fault that your local stores stopped carrying the Reference series. And they are still producing excellent speakers at a great price. I hope you can find some place to get the speakers you want, whatever they end up being.

Good luck!

Scott

If klipsh pulled the synergy, reference and promedia line, they would probably need to increase the cost of the heritage line by (probably)300% and lay off over 90% of the work force. Then afterward, go out of business. Is this what your recommending?

I too would like to see better distribution, but in all reality its 10x as good as other high end speaker manufactureres. How far do you have to drive to buy JMLabs, or Sonas, or Avante Garde, etc?

Hey Scudd -- That Sound Advise dropped K was good. I think it was the other way around, though -- I think Klipsch told SA to go take a hike.

When I bought my SF2's there in '02, the salesdroid tried to get me by hook or crook to go with Boston Acoustic.

Now why would I want a speaker which sounds like it's got a wet blanket draped over it?! He also resorted to the old 'horns sound like megaphones' bit. I walked out, with my SF2s, and never went back to SA.

I don't buy in retail stores anymore. The sales 'help' is beyond pathetic. Knowledge in this field is close to nil.

The web has replaced retail stores for me. The latest bit I bought for my HT, a *sizable* purchase, was done sight-unseen over the web, and I'm happy as a clam with my new projector.

Ditto for my Fortes. I bought 'em off the web unheared. The closest to a Forte I had heared was Cornwalls a friend has. Klipsch didn't dissapoint, the Fortes floored me from the very first note.

As for china? We did it to ourselves. We've transitioned from making widgets to a service-based economy. Other countries are more than willing to make our widgets.

My SC1 is MIC. Looks and sounds just fine. I'll be a green monkey if I can tell the difference without looking at the sticker.

So lay off it. The only way I'll say Klipsch has sold out is if they drop horns and adopt soft-domes (granted, I feel the Synergy and Refs are a little short of the mark, but the Reference Premiere should fix that.. a return to the midrange horns.)

To me, as long as klipsch uses horns and *doesn't follow the crowd *too* closely* they're okkay in my book.

Would you rather Klipsch had become one of those fondly-remembered brands from ye olden days like Dynaco and Fisher and a host of others? They didn't survive -- Klipsch has, despite making what most audiophiles consider to be heretical speakers not worthy of their time. (joke's on them, I think even the low-end Klispch beat the tar out of most conventional speakers.)

It's fashionable to beat on this company as of late. Fashions come and go, and are usually questionable.