Pics on my home built Khorns.

chris haberland

beautiful! love the big horn! are those Khorn bass bins for corner? enclosed? or are they more like Cornwalls with Altec horns?

did you make the stand too?

how come no isolation on the tube and player?

how many horns to make the bass bins?

how many to complete each speaker?

what, no TV!

gonna make your own sub?

10.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isolation on the components.There's something i have experimented with alot over the years.I live in a rental for now that explains the beautiful curtains in the back ground.When i lived in my own house i had a designated Hi-fi room which i spent years giving room treatments.I did finally get it to a point where my B@W CDM7SE's sounded like a million bucks.I also experimented with component isolation and found that the Black Diamond points worked best for the money spent and that is what i have stayed with.The Shelf that i constructed in the picture was a difficult project to get right.Each shelf contains 50lbs of sand and has a very dead sound when tapped on.Weather i have accomplished anything here im not sure?,but the points do work.Placing those points in various areas under the components has different effects.My friends over the years have been very patient with my constant fiddleing but it does pay off and it trains your ear to become a tool.I never mix my Hi-fi with home theater.My old house had a designated home theater.It contained real theater chairs, dropped ceiling, raised floors, curtains, ticket booth, the whole nine yards.Well that was then,back to the Khorns.The place im in now does not have any usable corners ,so my plan is to rap the speakers with there own corners like the TSCM's.These things are going to be huge, i hope im doing the right thing, i will post more pictures when they are complete.By the way i will be purchasing a pair of Altec 291's from the same guy i got the 288's from and will be building a pair of 311-90's out of Maple.I may build a pair of Altec Model 19's for the fronts on the home theater.Skill saw, belt sander and back to my igloo out side.Later guys Chris.

Well here are the corners done.I just built them today, 1" MDF sides,5/8" top and bottom.They still need some work, but i thought i would give you a peek. I have not had much listening time, but the base is better.I thought there would be a lot more, pant flapper no, but better.They sure are over whelming and im not sure if i like the look, but i think i can live with them.I will post one more set of pictures when i have completed the veneering and paint.Chris.

Chris,

Yes. Many who have built the LaScala cabinets have put in a brace in the mouth of the horn to keep the sides from vibrating. Perhaps Dean will explaine his false corners he built for his KHorns or post the link to the thread where he described them.

Can you explain how you did the compound angles on the internal parts?

Marvel

----------------

On 2/23/2005 12:35:59 PM chris haberland wrote:

I will discuss cutting the angles needed on the panels later because i will have to take some pictures to help with this step as it will be to hard to explain.Hope this has been some help.Regards Chris.

----------------

I can't thank you enough Chris and I hate to push it but could you please discuss cutting the angles?

I can't believe I missed this thread. That Altec horn looks simply outstanding.

My next upgrade other than amps is going to be a no compromise self designed horn loaded 2 channel system. Seeing project like Chris's just get my juices going.

Hey, im glad to see there is some interest in this project.That means some of you are going to take the challenge and build your own.I will try and put together a series of photos together with some explaination on this proccess.The industry i work for is shutting down for three weeks on March 8.The border dispute, log shortage and market conditions has finially taken its toll on us. This puts me on a "call list" for some limited work which means i sit around the phone not knowing from one day to the other whether im going to work or not.I will try to get going on this as soon as i can.Regards Chris.